How F.A.S.T. could a GN run??

dougie

I was just reading an article about F.A.S.T. (Factory Appearance Stock Tire) racing, and the fastest guys are running 60's and 70's muscle cars that look totally stock in the low 10's. I think the newest cars that can run are 1973. If you could run a Turbo Regal in F.A.S.T. what kind of times do you think you could get with stock tires and a stock looking turbo? All the engine and trans internals can be changed. It just has to look stock.

IMHO.... you could easily make enough power for 9's.... but it will be a crapshoot on the tires..... there have been several here on the board run in the 10's on regular radials..... but it is tricky... and they weren't set up for "stock appearing".

FWIW... I think you can stuff a 66mm wheel into a stock appearing housing......if you could get one of the newer billet wheels in there you could make north of 650HP probably....

Maybe that answered it?

I was just reading an article about F.A.S.T. (Factory Appearance Stock Tire) racing, and the fastest guys are running 60's and 70's muscle cars that look totally stock in the low 10's. I think the newest cars that can run are 1973. If you could run a Turbo Regal in F.A.S.T. what kind of times do you think you could get with stock tires and a stock looking turbo? All the engine and trans internals can be changed. It just has to look stock.

Great question. I've ofter wondered if it were possible to run a TR in this series. I don't think it would be too much of a problem making the horsepower but hooking up a 10 second TR on stock type 215 (radials) would be next to impossible!! Has anybody come close to even mid 11's on the stock sized radial tire's??

Ken

it can't be any worse trying to get a TR to hook up on modern radials than it is to get a '69 ZL1 Camaro to hook up on skinny bias ply tires.

I think it's impossible personally. The only thing you can do, is use super stiff springs in the rear, and load the trunk down.
My cruisin' buddy has a 70 cuda w/ a 360 crate motor in it, and on 245 radial T/A's, he beats me... Of course I had the identical tire on my car, with my dump closed, but he still beat me. He beats me with nothing in his trunk too. I think he's close to 400 hp on his ride. Anything past that, and I know there's no way he could keep it hooked. All I know is, is if you have to pedal out of the gate, you'd have to have a TON of HP to make up for it further down the line.

I think if you are going to run that short of a tire you need to put 2.56-3.08 gear in it so you are not turning it that hard. Keep the stall real low 2400 at the max.

it can't be any worse trying to get a TR to hook up on modern radials than it is to get a '69 ZL1 Camaro to hook up on skinny bias ply tires.

I read an article once on a mint yellow '69 ZL-1 Camaro......based back in the late 80's..... someone had an all original low mileage car.... and let the magazine beat on it at the track one day......seems like they went low 13's on the bias ply tires.... seems like the mentioned the best way they found was rolling out until about 20 mph.... and stomping it......traction was a major issue.....probably an easy 11 sec car.... just all torque.... and no traction....

I think if you are going to run that short of a tire you need to put 2.56-3.08 gear in it so you are not turning it that hard. Keep the stall real low 2400 at the max.

I think you are headed in the right direction...... however... I think lots of weight in the trunk.... maybe a 3.23 gear..... or maybe as high as a 3.08.......along with stiff rear springs......and lots of horsepower could go 10's on the 215's..... it would be extremely hard to do it consistantly....

As disco stu said.... todays traction control might also be a big help..... didn't say anything about not allowing a XFI w/traction control.....

One of the airflow limits on "stock" is the elbow on the airbox. Then the elbow on the exhuast housing. Once you get that HP number.. then its all traction and boost control.

I dont think you can get over 125 for MPH with the above limits. That being said, not having tires.. low 11's I would believe to be the limit.

A 274 CI motor breathing through that elbow will choke. As will a 231 CI motor.

Unfortunately we are limited by the 215 radial and turbocharging without an electronic boost controller would be a nightmare. Im sure the boost controller would be allowed as long as it wasnt visible. A lot to hide though. I wouldnt doubt low 10 sec power could be made but cutting a sub 1.7 60' would be a chore to say the least. Also it takes a hell of a lot of $ on R&D and practice. Its a $75-100k project to be competitive and fall within FAST rules. I doubt there is anyone who even posts on here who would be legal in FAST no to mention if they were their care is probably stock in every way.

I doubt this would matter because when the boost came up it would still blow the tires off. An electronic boost controller would be needed

I doubt this would matter because when the boost came up it would still blow the tires off. An electronic boost controller would be needed

The stock bleeder could be used with an aftermarket PCM. The rules are stock appearing under the hood. I dont think you can get very much control, but some non-the-less.

a lot of those car are clones, not may people would race a real ZL1 or hemi cuda, and from what i understand are able to use factory produced performance parts. I would Clone a GNX and be able to use 245 and lighter wheels than a GN