How do you tell if its a real GN

Tennessee Auto

I'm looking to buy a GN 86-87. How do you tell its a real GN not just a T-Type thats been made over.

Thanks Scott

Tennessee Auto said:
I'm looking to buy a GN 86-87. How do you tell its a real GN not just a T-Type thats been made over.

Thanks Scott

Where in TN are you?

BLACK6PACK, the RPO is gone off the trunk. It is a car that has been restored, frame off job. The trunk lid was replaced during the resto due to rust on the bottom edge. Is there anyway to tell by the vin. I know its a turbo car vin, but thats about all I know.

Dave, we are in Cleveland. I spend every other weekend in Sevier County, though.

Thanks Scott

There is a number "7" in the VIN ( forget which one, someone here will know ) that denotes the turbo drivelive, steering etc. If the VIN is correct...I'm not sure how lese to be sure if you think that might be bogus.

Yeah, the 8th digit is a 7 on the 86/87 cars. I just was wondering if there was any real way to tell, other than the RPO sticker.

Scott

There still may be a build sheet in the door or under the back seat, that would tell you for sure.

If the RPO code is gone and their is no hidden build sheet, then there is no way to tell. Insurance companies, titles, and the carfax report will probably just say regal of some type.

Tennessee Auto said:
BLACK6PACK, the RPO is gone off the trunk. It is a car that has been restored, frame off job. The trunk lid was replaced during the resto due to rust on the bottom edge. Is there anyway to tell by the vin. I know its a turbo car vin, but thats about all I know.

Dave, we are in Cleveland. I spend every other weekend in Sevier County, though.

Thanks Scott

Cool. Just down the road about an hour or so...

My build sheet was behind the door panel in the drivers side door. With a frame off resto it may be gone.

ask the current owner who the previous owner was and where the car came from...then do some lookups and calling to ask them.

Isn't there a paint code on the tag under the hood? That would at least tell you if it was black originally. Make sure the interior has all the correct GN stuff. Other than that, couldn't tell for sure. As long as it was originally a turbo regal, the value difference isn't really enough to worry about IMO.