How bout some large cars....

Russ Merritt

This was my home for 9 months last year. 2400 miles a week, all over the northeast and a few trips to Va. Was awesome getting back behind the wheel after about 5 yrs being away. 1988 W900, Old mechanical 425 CAT, 13 speed, 48' spread flatbed. For being 20yrs old, this truck rocked!! It was the only Kenworth in the fleet too as the rest were Pete's. It was def nice to get away from the cars for a while......

Attachments

• 100_0109.jpg
    100_0109.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 565
  • 0520081252a.jpg
    0520081252a.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 576
  • 0520081545b.jpg
    0520081545b.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 563
  • 100_0242.jpg
    100_0242.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 571
  • 100_0113.jpg
    100_0113.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 555
Cool Russ! Alan use to drive a Peterbuilt 379 with a Texas bumper, Vortex breathers, and i think 6 " straights. He hauled strawberrys from Jackson MS to LA. It would roll about 102 :cool:

Yea, that's flyin!!.....I had my old girl up to 93.2 recorded on my GPS. That's about as fast as I'd wanna go in this truck...... Pete's are sweet trucks too, I drove a couple that he had. I only liked one of them though, An 89 black 379.

We ended up with straight pipes on mine too, the mufflers kept fallin off.....They were gone and I kept nursin em......I got new rims, new pipes and a new headache rack.....:cool:

Attachments

• 100_0253.jpg
    100_0253.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 557
  • 100_0287.jpg
    100_0287.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 546
Nice w-9 Russ. B model mechanical? Maybe bump into you around Ma or surrounding states sometime. Take the Grumpy on a trip..he'd like that.

some day I will own a W-900L but until that day comes, I will keep driving my 99 Star with 500 Detroit, 13 speed & 3.55's. Cats are good for pulling but you can't beat a pre EGR Detroit for fuel mileage. I haul oversize & a little flatbed & average 7+ mpg (providing I keep it @ 65mph). here are a few pics.

included is 1 that I moved with my 1 ton, it cost me $1,500 in fines for exceeding my permit. ;) permit was good for 16 wide, & I was 19'6'' :eek: at least that is what the DOT officer measured, I cut the tape short a little over 1 foot when he was not looking. :biggrin:

Attachments

• php3LujzSAM.jpg
    php3LujzSAM.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 470
Nice KW. I love Kenworths. I was sad when my old man traded in his '99 W900L for a Freightliner Coronado.:frown:

thats cool Russ.... wondered what you were doin.... now tilt the front end over so we can see a real turbo:eek:

Naw, it's a tire rack and fuel jug holder. It may as well be a grill since we do not have race team this season. :mad:

I still have to drop/pick clients cars though. AND I get to go pick up the new California's that show up at port in Houston. I get to be the first person to drive a California in the sate of Texas!

Those friggen DOT. I got a ticket once in NM at an ant check station, for my steer tire rubber brake lines had cracks in them like they all do. My truck was brand new with less than 500 miles on it. I told him a new one right out of the box will have the same cracks in it but you cant argue with an idiot:mad:

This is the only pic i have of my 97 large car it had 475 CAT 15 direct with 3.55 and tall rubber. Speedo only went to 85 but you could hold the cruise control resume switch up and it would run about 105.

Attachments

• DSC01587.JPG
    DSC01587.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 374
thats cool Russ.... wondered what you were doin.... now tilt the front end over so we can see a real turbo:eek:

Believe me, I had the compressor cover off and made a call to Hartline for custom BB turbo options..........:D Being an older 3406B the turbo had no wastegate control. All the engine performance is controlled inside the pump. Fuel press was cranked and it ran 25# boost after we changed the intercooler (had a hole in it) She averaged 5.9 mpg which I thought wasn't so bad for being such a brick. Newer trucks have twin turbos, one feeding another and run way more boost but most are governed to 65-75. 75 is where I was shifting into high gear.....

Had the truck been my own, I'd have got a real turbo and played around a little but bottom line is makin money. Gotta keep it rollin and dependable. Being 20 years old and over 2 million miles on her, finesse is the only way this truck will show up for work everyday.

Here's a pic from Lee tennis, Troy Va last May. It's a load of green tennis court dirt headed to cape cod. I stopped at Otto's on my way home with this one... I went to a few palaces down the cape, multi million dollar homes right on the ocean..... We did 50 loads outta there headed back to Mass.....

Attachments

• 100_0115.jpg
    100_0115.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 350
Those friggen DOT. I got a ticket once in NM at an ant check station, for my steer tire rubber brake lines had cracks in them like they all do. My truck was brand new with less than 500 miles on it. I told him a new one right out of the box will have the same cracks in it but you cant argue with an idiot:mad:

This is the only pic i have of my 97 large car it had 475 CAT 15 direct with 3.55 and tall rubber. Speedo only went to 85 but you could hold the cruise control resume switch up and it would run about 105.

It was probably cracked paint.....:) What a PITA. DOT was good to me, I stopped at a few weigh stations when I knew I was legal, they never bothered me. If I was questionable, I always went around the scales.....My boss liked that :) Had guys that would get 2-3 DOT violations A WEEK!! I don't know how he deals with it...... I'd f&^%$ shoot em....

Thank god you got one picture....... Good lookin Pete!

bottom line is making money.
ain't that the truth!! all the hp in the world is cool until you are paying more to fill your truck than what most people make in one week!!:mad: when fuel was @ the high, it was costing me right @ $1000. to fill my tanks.:mad: I am fortunate I only average about 70K miles a year. when fuel spiked I slowed down from 75-80 down to 65 & watched my bank account get larger. BUT when my customer says "I need it here now!!" then we put it in the wind, & they pay extra for it.