How big is TOO BIG? (tires)

TonyTtops

The one and only
I have the 16in GTA's on the GN. What is the widest size that will give no problems in the rear. Any recomendations on brands?

Thanks for the help guys!:confused: :rolleyes:

275 would be about the biggest and you might even get some slight rubbing with those. Brand just depends on how much you want to spend and if it's a street or strip car.

I'm going to keep my eyes on this particular post. I'm planning on buying new rims for my T-Type and the shops around here seem to have very little knowledge of backspacing and tire requirements for this type of car... I was looking in getting either 275 or 265 if available as long I don't have to make any modifications to the car. I want to go with 15X7 up front and 15X8 on the rear. I would like to know what is the ideal backspacing and what will be the widest I can go with on the rear... Thanks guys.

German

There are tons of threads about this kind of thing, if you have some spare time, you can dig up all the info you need by Searching.

A safe bet for backspacing on these cars is half the total size of the wheel. A 7" wheel with 3.5" backspace will sit fine. 8" wheel with 4" backspacing will be okay in the rear but you might want a smaller backspacing like 3" so the face of the wheel will fill up the wheel well a little more. Basically, the limit for backspacing in the rear is 4.5-4.75". Any more than that and you will likely be rubbing the frame on the inside. Some guys have gotten away with 5" backspacing but I would not bet on it. You can fit up to a .5" more or less backspacing depending on your individual car, how low your springs are sagging, if the rear-end is centered under the body, etc.

You can fit 275s perfectly fine with no mods. The guys who cram 275s onto stock 7" wide rims are the ones who have to worry about rubbing because the sidewalls will be bulging on a narrow rim that like. With an 8" rim there should not be a problem.

Counting the stock rims, I have had 3 sets of wheels on my car and am in the process of installing a 4th. If you have any questions just let me know.

I'm going to keep my eyes on this particular post. I'm planning on buying new rims for my T-Type and the shops around here seem to have very little knowledge of backspacing and tire requirements for this type of car... I was looking in getting either 275 or 265 if available as long I don't have to make any modifications to the car. I want to go with 15X7 up front and 15X8 on the rear. I would like to know what is the ideal backspacing and what will be the widest I can go with on the rear... Thanks guys.

German

235/60s in the front, 275/60s out back- on widened T-type rims, it's a geat stealth setup.....

I have the 16in GTA's on the GN. What is the widest size that will give no problems in the rear. Any recomendations on brands?

If your sticking with 16" rims, 255 is the largest common 16" tire size beside a few odd ball sizes like 345.

Here's the 275s I ran on 18" wheels. Plenty of room.

1.gif

If your sticking with 16" rims, 255 is the largest common 16" tire size beside a few odd ball sizes like 345.

Good point, 16" tire sizes are goofy.

My new wheels are 16" and I'm going with 255 in the rear. Good enough for the GNX...

What would the max size tire to fit on factory rims?

Plenty of guys run 275s and don't have too many problems, I just think that tire is a little wide for a 7" rim. A 255 would fit better. 275s fit but may rub going around turns or during hard launches, because the sidewall is sagging out over the rim.

So what u are saying is 255/?/16. this is not a strip car. Rims Are pontiac gta wheels from gm with no kind of spacing. I want to go to goodyear tell them the size and get the car ready for the drive to Georgia.

any other suggestions, brands???

"TonyTtops", I agree with "Turbo6Chicago"...255's on a 7" wide rim or 275's on an 8" wide rim is about the biggest you use without risquing having some rubbing issues. If you want to go bigger than that, you can always do like me and have a special set made (16"x10") and use some 275-55-16's...I'll probably go to bigger tires when these are worn...

Claude :)

P.S: You can view some pictures of these wheels in another thread I posted not very far back entitled 16"x10" GNX-style wheels...:wink:

I think a board member named White T has 315's on bigger rims ( no notch ).

You could slam in 285 to 305 for sure, I would like to see a pic of those 315's again.

So what u are saying is 255/?/16. this is not a strip car. Rims Are pontiac gta wheels from gm with no kind of spacing. I want to go to goodyear tell them the size and get the car ready for the drive to Georgia.

any other suggestions, brands???

I have all four fronts, 255/50/16's with 5/16" spacers and longer wheel studs, in the rear.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/me...ly/228982-finally-road-wanted-say-thanks.html

The correct height 26", as you can see not quite centered in the wheel well, I think a 1" spacer would be perfect? I do like the stance for now. It has stock springs right now. A 1-2" drop all around and I think I'll be good:cool:

Currently I have a little less than a finger between the frame and the tire, I have skinny fingers, would'nt want to go any wider with this combo. 245 were on it before all the way around with no spacers in the rear, they work well, not quite tall enough. They did rub on a tight turn in front.

Rich

16" Wheel:

245/50 front and 255/50 rear.

They don't make 'em any bigger for a 16" wheel.

Turbo6chicago , what kind of 16'' wheels are you going with? I think that those tires sizes look perfect 245/50/16 & 255/50/16. I am thinking on the kirban 16x8 wheels but they say to use 245s all around?Any other wheels 16x8 , 4'' backspace black center polished lip? thanks

Kirban probably just says that to play it safe. 255 will still fit. I'm going with some wheels from the import tuner scene that I've liked for a while, will require wheel adapters and some other custom work.

Most companies have all their sizes listed on their website. Go to American Racing and you can see which wheels come in 16x8 and what the spacing is.

Even easier, go to Summit Racing, where you can narrow down your search results with all that criteria: 16" wheel, 8" wide, 4.75" bolt pattern, color, spacing, etc.