Hotair or Not?

Is an 84/85 TR with an Intercooler considered a Hotair?

• Yes, it's still a Hotair

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No, it has an Intercooler

Votes: 52 85.2%

• Total voters
When I went looking for a TB.COM name, "Hot Air" was not taken and since my car was built in 84 (one of 2 hot air car years), I jumped on it! In my mind, it is, and always will be, a "hot" air car. Besides, the dash placque says "Hot Air" so I MUST be correct.
Conrad

ps...Eric, there must be something more important for you to worry about!

Um...highlighted in red is incorrect info. All the turbo Buick cars before 86 were hot air.:biggrin: Sorry but I can't add an intercooler but I can run alky or E-85 but mine is definitely a hot air.:eek::biggrin:

This has been debated before...

The car remains a year group "Hot-Air" car. It will not carry the monetary value of the '86/'87 group (atleast not as of yet it has not).

Just as an intercooler can be put onto one of these cars... it can also come off.

I say it can be called a HA YEAR TR! but it also has the IC title, since the 86/87 IC setup is in the 84/85 TR .......it's now a IC TR(IC motor) .....in a HA TR year....... make sense? am i crazy here?

Hot Air

I say it can be called a HA YEAR TR! but it also has the IC title, since the 86/87 IC setup is in the 84/85 TR .......it's now a IC TR(IC motor) .....in a HA TR year....... make sense? am i crazy here?

Leave it to some people to make a super easy cut and dry question into a poetic super phrase. You must be a politician. Either it is or it isn't still a Hot Air there is no in between. And again no matter what year the car is the engine set up says it's something else. Hey I have a 85 T Type with a Chevy 350 in it is it still a Hot AIR?

Leave it to some people to make a super easy cut and dry question into a poetic super phrase. You must be a politician. Either it is or it isn't still a Hot Air there is no in between. And again no matter what year the car is the engine set up says it's something else. Hey I have a 85 T Type with a Chevy 350 in it is it still a Hot AIR?

HAHA not a politicain, no thanks :cool: I mean the guy has to say it STARTED out as a HA TR But has to say he made it into something else. ex.. You can't just Say It's A GN because you painted it black when it started out as a NA regal. I say You have a HA TR with a SBC .........That's HOT AIR ! It sucks up hot engine bay air..... you have no intercooler.....haha jk:wink:

It is cut and dry, i just hate when people fight over simple stuff, I AGREE 100%, it's just one of those things. Damned if i say HA damned if i say IC.

No need for name calling...

"I want to know who the retarted 4 are that thinks this car is a HOT AIR"

It is a Hot-Air year group car based on it's VIN is it not?

It remains a "Hot Air" car in my view... converted to intercooled. My '84 GN went through all of the add on's till it got to this current point. It made sense to convert to the '87 setup after having played with it in TA33c/ATR exhaust, and ported/oversized valve steel heads form. Back when I converted to the '87 set up there was nothing out there in documented writen form guiding me through the effort. Did it with hand tools in a 2 car garage. :biggrin:

Eric and I have had a lot of fun kidding each other about this. FWIW, I still have the 60k miles hot air engine in my garage. Who knows, I may re-install it someday just to irritate my engineer son, Adam. Then Eric and I could have some real fun! I admire (and continue to encourage) Eric @ the hot air setup. He truly is a great guy that loves a challenge. I might add that he has run some quick numbers with his GN! So, beware of "The Eric"! He just might hurt your feelings.
Conrad
"Hot" Air

Your new setup is one "heartbreaker" itself Conrad. You really have to get it down the track soon and let us know your times. Your car has been down for way too long and you have a lot of time to makeup for.

I'll have to give Kevin Hughes (kh440) the credit on the inter "Cooler" idea. It's always a topic of conversation about what I should do with the big open space in front of my engine and putting a cooler with some kind of duct work was the latest idea.

I've developed a real passion for the Hot Air year cars and it's difficult to see and hear of people changing them over to the IC setups. I do believe that everyone has a right to do whatever they want to their car's, but it still hurts me to know there's one less on the road.

Your Car

"I want to know who the retarted 4 are that thinks this car is a HOT AIR"

It is a Hot-Air year group car based on it's VIN is it not?

It remains a "Hot Air" car in my view... converted to intercooled. My '84 GN went through all of the add on's till it got to this current point. It made sense to convert to the '87 setup after having played with it in TA33c/ATR exhaust, and ported/oversized valve steel heads form. Back when I converted to the '87 set up there was nothing out there in documented writen form guiding me through the effort. Did it with hand tools in a 2 car garage. :biggrin:

So you really do have the most optioned "Hot Air" in the nation. It even came with an 86-87 intercooled engine. Wow a Hot Air with a "Cool Air" powerplant......now that's rare......lol:biggrin: And no again your wrong it's not a Hot Air based on the vin, it's an 84-85 Turbo Regal based on the vin. It's something else based on your swap but not a Hot Air.

~smile

I do have the most optioned Hot-Air car in the country.

Waiting to see one of you prove otherwise.

All 96 of them.

20351440109_large.jpg

It didn't come with an intercooled motor... it came with a "Hot-Air" set up like every other '84/'85 turbo Buick. The original block was rebuilt with forged TRW's, moly rings, and girdled. It was built by Lanier's here in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It was one of the first on the board to receive such mods... BTW that join date by my screen name doesn't reflect that I was one of the first Hot-air cars on this website. We used to have a huge catalog of efforts (pictures and such) before the website CRASH.

We have a disagreement on position but it isn't enough to get your undies in a ruffle about is it? We all own a turbo Buick don't we? (There is a supercharged 432 cubic inch '92 LX Mustang in my drive way as well... the enemy... LOL)

I want to know who the retarted 4 are that thinks this car is a HOT AIR

Let's see now,,,

"retarted" assumed to imply retarded,,,

...pot--kettle... comes to mind---Oh nevermind,,,

It's hard to get stoked-up about something that's just good-fun-ribbing between a bunch of good-guys...

Monte

I'm going to agree as well with the above. Alky injection is not intercooling IMOP, now if we could get our air temps down to ambient temps with alky (very hard to do since we have a short intake track) then you could say I have a chemical intercooler. As of right now I'm lucky to get 200deg intake temps so tell me I have a intercooler.

I have to agree with this also, if it was the cooling I was after I would use a finer nozzle and shoot straight water or 50/50 like the ricers in my area do, fact is the jacked up octane is what makes alky injection work on my HOTAIR. Besides, if you classify alky as an intercooler than what do you call the IC cars that are shooting alky? INTERINTERCOOLED? :confused: That just sounds silly.

So my vote would be NO, if you have an air to air set up LIKE an IC car then you ARE an IC car, you don't need to have the intercooled badges on the car that just gives away one of your advantages to people you race, without the badges its truly a sleeper, but it should not be refered to as a HOTAIR car cause you have changed it, now there is one argument that you could throw out there and that would be use of the word MODIFIED or MOD like HOTAIR MODIFIED, but that might just be splitting hairs.

It's hard to get stoked-up about something that's just good-fun-ribbing between a bunch of good-guys...

Not only that, but I'm going to have to live down being called "The Eric". It's not that dashing of a name. I've been called a lot of things, but this is a first:confused:

I do have the most optioned Hot-Air car in the country.

Waiting to see one of you prove otherwise.

If you switched from a turbocharger to supercharger would you still consiter it turbocharged because thats what it was? Few would agree if you did.
Sorry but the day you installed an intercooler the car no longer fits the "Hot-Air" profile. It has lots of options sure but you added one that took it from being a "Hot-Air" to "Intercooled".
Put the IC badges on and be proud of your modification, I would.
:D

Hmmmm....

The car is an '84 GN.

Regardless of whatever I drop into it... to include a 502 big block on steroids (which would piss off the purists in the group severely)

I was running nitrous on the car when it was "Hot-air" - That is an intercooler is it not? Or is it just outright cheating to have a bottle in my car? :biggrin:

Oh... and my intercooler is larger than your intercooler! :biggrin: It is!

20351440089_medium.jpg

I was running nitrous on the car when it was "Hot-air" - That is an intercooler is it not?

It's not.

An intercooler (original UK term, sometimes aftercooler in US practice), or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through nearly isobaric (constant pressure) cooling. A decrease in air intake temperature provides a more dense intake charge to the engine and allows more air and fuel to be combusted per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine.Intercoolers (also known as charge air coolers) increase the efficiency of the induction system by reducing induction air heat created by the turbocharger and promoting more thorough combustion.[1]

The inter prefix in the device name originates from historic compressor designs. In the past, aircraft engines were built with charge air coolers that were installed between multiple stages of supercharging thus the designation of inter. Modern automobile designs are technically designated aftercoolers because of their placement at the end of supercharging chain. This term is now considered archaic in modern automobile terminology since most forced induction vehicles have single-stage superchargers or turbochargers. In a vehicle fitted with two-stage turbocharging, it is possible to have both an intercooler (between the two turbocharger units) and an aftercooler (between the second-stage turbo and the engine). The JCB Dieselmax land speed record-holding car is an example of such a system. In general, an intercooler or aftercooler is said to be a charge air cooler.

Nitrous oxide (N2O) is a chemical compound used as an oxidizing agent to increase an internal combustion engine's power output by allowing more fuel to be burned than would normally be the case.

Actually it does intercool...

"Nitrous oxide also cools the intake temperature by 60 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit and every 10 degrees Fahrenheit reduction in temperature gives you about 1% horsepower gains. So on top of the extra power provided by the extra oxygen, you get another 6-7% horsepower gains from the cooling effect."

per... How does Nitrous Oxide work?

Intercool is a industry term only used when referring to an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device. You are using the term improperly.

Intercooling... the result suffices

I have never lost a street race in my GN while on the bottle.

Even when the car was "Hot-Air."

It now consistently traps 108 to 110 mph "off the bottle" in Colorado's thin air. An intercooler works!

I am going to try out a Wideband O2 chip (turboTweak) as the next mod. :biggrin: The goal is 116 mph off the bottle.