Hot Brakes

jooset

Just finished my brake work. Have Baers on the front and bigger S-10 cylinders on the back with big soft shoes (Kirban) and aluminum drums. Had to install a proportioning valve to get them balanced correctly. I think they are locking up about the same time (fronts and rears) now. Probably need to reduce the back pressure a little bit yet...but....the backs are getting way hot. I can feel the heat coming off of them (and I can smell them) when I walk by the back wheels after a normal ride to work. Is it the fact that I don't have it balanced good enough yet...or is those soft shoes? I know brakes get hot...but I don't want to cook anything :eek:

Thanks,
Matt

It sounds like the rears may be dragging. Does it feel like they are? Will the car roll easily, when it's on the level, and in neutral? Rear brakes don't get that much work when you're just driving around town, shouldn't really get hot.

I'll check the ease of roll next weekend when I have er out again...but I don't think anything is dragging - feels like it always has. In fact, feels great! New brakes are awesome...if anything - they are too sensitive. Only a little bit of brake pressure and she comes to a stop - have to be careful not to lock em up. Quite the opposite of the 80,000mile originals, with original pads...used to have to mash the pedal down pretty good and it still felt like I was going to plow into someone. I'll also crank down the pressure to the back - those big wheel cylinders back there really clamp those big shoes down. Maybe I need someone else who has done some brake work on theirs to drive mine - volunteers? :D

Thanks,
Matt