Hot Air with K&N Cone

84GNTTYPE

How do ya'll fasten your MAF sensor after you remove the stock air filter canister?

Pic would be great!!

Thanks!

Well, that depends on exactly what you want to accomplish. In my case, I wanted to use a 9" K&N filter and position it such that it drew in air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment, since the air under the hood gets quite hot during normal operation.

So, I bought a smooth pipe bent in the same way as the ribbed, flexible plastic pipe that went between the MAF and the throttlebody. It basically had the same inside diameter as orig. pipe, so a rubber 3" pipe joint adapter (found a local hardware store) connected MAF and smooth pipe with a couple of stainless steel clamps. Then, used another 3" rubber pipe joint piece in front of MAF to 3" PVC piping (hardware store again) to a 3" to 2" PVC adapter, to hook up the K&N. With some creativity, I was able to end up with the K&N positioned behind the front bumper, and in front of the driver's side fr. tire, sucking cold air from under the car. And, don't worry, it still drives OK in the rain.

I think a mod like this can give you a couple of tenths.

I have a solid maf pipe, but the stupid crank case breather doesnt fit under it:mad:...dumb Postons. So I've still got the flexible thing on there. I took the whole airbox out and used the screw to fasten a "c" bracket to the little stand it sits on. Then I angled the other end of the bracket so where the filter and maf meet lay on top of it. Fastened that w/ a clamp I had laying around. Its pretty sturdy, doesnt rub against the radiator hose(phew).

I did something similar to what Black Cherry T did exept I didn't use all the tubing. I bought a cold air kit from postons went to home depot got a piece of rubber to seal my K&N cone into the canister while connected to the MAF. Then I relocated the fuel canister and drilled a big enough hole so the tubing that came with the cold air kit would fit through to the front spoiler scoop. I'm thinking of getting a long enough elbow like the one Mark Hueffman sells with his big mouth kit so I can have the filter out of the canister sucking in cold air while actually being outside of the car. Marks big mouth cold air induction is what i would have gone with if I had known about it first check it out its worth the look. All of Marks products are good I bought and run his ehaust cutout and love it not to mention the other things that I have of his.

i used the down elbo from the stock set up, got a K&N that fit right one it and put it behind the head light and used some dryer duct (hardwear store) and connected that to the MAF. The MAF sort of floats there. I think in all it cost $50 (with the K&N). The dryer duct isn't smooth, but i figured it didn't matter, smooth flowing air will get knocked around when it get to the turbo, so alittle "bumping" just after the filter won't matter.

What kind of dryer duct are you using??? Make sure that it doesn't collapse when at WOT...

Ok now here is the easy way..

Get another stock tube that goes in between the turbo and MAF,put it on the other side of the MAF,clamp in a 6" piece of (I had 3" copper pipe)pipe run it right next to the radiator on the LH side and clamp the K&N to the end of your 3" pipe.This looks totally stock under the hood and gets you cold air from in front of the radiator.The MAF is supported by the tubes.Once you have the tube and the piece of pipe it will take you 10 minutes tops to install.What more could you ask for?