Hot air to innercooled

chuck may i ask what size pipe did you make the conversion with and if you have any measurements to give on the pipes that would help a bunch, i am going to do that setup with the intercooler:biggrin:

IC Mod

Fellas,

I have done this mod start to finish. I can help you with pics and any questions you might have regarding the install.

I used an 87 TB cause it came with the kit and bolted right up to the modded doghouse. The doghouse has to be modded by cutting the back half of it so that the roof of it is sloped downwards. Its reqd to make room for the turbo - otherwise your doghouse will not fit.

You can always buy an 87 doghouse yourself and see what has to be chopped then do it yourself or take it to a machine shop...no biggie.

I also bought a billet vac block for the top of the TB - and of course all new vac lines. You'll also need an 87 throttle cable.

Now as far as the IAC motor goes....the 84-85 coolant neck/housing is too tall and will interfere. Took mine off and chopped the roof off it then had a machine shop weld a top on it. Basically I made it slightly shorter.

Here's some pics....

Attachments

• Doghouse 1.jpg
    Doghouse 1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Doghouse 2.jpg
    Doghouse 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 184
  • Coolant Housing.jpg
    Coolant Housing.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Engine shot.jpg
    Engine shot.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 193
Intercooler

Thanks for the photos !! I think I will mount the Turbo on the front right of the motor...I want a lot of access to the valve cover and plugs . Did you ever consider using a water cooled turbo ?? I have been thinking about it.. Also on the front of the upper intake bonnet there was 2 wires coming out...did you hook them up anywhere ??

Wires on the intake bonnet?

Not sure where exactly you are referring to....there are no wires attached to the 'cut down' doghouse - only the IAC and TPS on the '87 TB have wires in that area - attached to the front of the doghouse of course.

As for water cooled turbo - no I never considered one. My TA33 has lots of boost and shud be more then enough for my setup. Plus...any bigger and i'll have fitment issues in the stock location for sure.

The Setup

OK....I am just start to get some of the parts I need...I have an 86 throttle body.. when looking at it from the front there is a plug on the side with 4 wires in it...and there is a plug with also 4 wires in it on the bottom of the front..How do I plug this into the 84 wiring harness...?? I still haven't looked at the 84 harness yet, but the 84 throttle body is way, way different !! :eek:

86 Throttle Body

Here is a photo of the 86 throttle body...I checked out my 84 and it seems like I have that connector on the bottom so I should be able to just plug it in...I still have to hunt for that throttle position connector....or...that is what I think it is.. Looks like my 84 has the same 2 mounting bolts for the same connector...will have to look somemore...

Attachments

• throttle body 86 001.jpg
    throttle body 86 001.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 124
86 Throttle body

Looks like I am answering my own questions here...I found the throttle plate position sensor and connector...Woop... But I see that the throttle body on the 84 manifold has a much bigger mouth than the 86...but the 86 is about 1/8 bigger where it bolts to the bonnet..I would of thought it would of been the opposite way around. Should I put a block off plate on the EGR Valve ?? Looks like a really small foot print on the 86 EGR valve.. Since I am using an 84 Computer...I don't think there is a removable prom or chip in this one ...Right ??? Just for the fun of it , can anybody give me a measurement of the inside mouth of an 86 throttle body?? I am using one out of a Oldsmobile...it looks the same but maybe the GN is bigger...:eek: