Hot air maf, can 86/87 be used?

TurboBuRick

Staff member
Have a customer with a hot air car. He needs a maf. Finding a good 86/87 is going to hard enough let alone a 84/85. Whats my optons here?

TIA

Convert the car to an 87 ECM and use an 87 MAF.

Thanks for the reply Jay. Thats what I would like do here for sure but this is a retired gentleman and I need to keep cost as low as possible.

No way I could just pop a 86/87 maf on without swapping ECM's?

I could not find a decent 85 MAF for my car, so I decide to convert to 87 MAF. My car stopped on me and it turned out the 85 MAF went bad. I got the car home and put the 87 MAF on and the car cranked up and ran 120% better. I think the 86-87 MAF will work on a HA, but a HA MAF will not work on a 86-87.

I could not find a decent 85 MAF for my car, so I decide to convert to 87 MAF. My car stopped on me and it turned out the 85 MAF went bad. I got the car home and put the 87 MAF on and the car cranked up and ran 120% better. I think the 86-87 MAF will work on a HA, but a HA MAF will not work on a 86-87.

Someone else said that too. I'll give it a shot, as soon as I can locate good one. ;)

I have a TOMCO Unit that I purchased for my 85 years ago. I am using the LS1 MAF and translator.
If interested in it. Send me an email at reytomm@aol.com and I will give you my phone #.

I have a TOMCO Unit that I purchased for my 85 years ago. I am using the LS1 MAF and translator.
If interested in it. Send me an email at reytomm@aol.com and I will give you my phone #.

Thanks Tommy,

Quick question, are you using the ls1 and translator with the 84/85 ecm?

How much for the Tomco? Would you stand behind it?

TIA

I first installed it with the 84/85 ECM. Seem to work ok. Couldn't get the BLM where it should have been. After switchiing to the 86/87 ECM I had the same problem. I checked the Translator and the very small switches weren't set up for the 3" LS1 MAF. Changed the settings and BLM's were perfect. I had Turbo Tweak burn me a chip and leave out the IAT sensor.

the cost difference is just that of the ECM since he needs to buy a MAF anyway.

Bob