Hot Air intake inside pics

redhotrod

Turbo Happy
Can someone please send me or link me to pictures of a disected hot air intake. A picture of one cut in half down the top of the intake looking from inside out would be great!

pic

this is the only one i have.

Attachments

• intake2.jpg
    intake2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 599
Thanks for the picture, anyone have one cut the other way in half, looking down the runners?
What I really am looking for is near the back in front of the turbo to the left and right, towards the top I want to mount 2 alky nozzles, 1 for each side, I just need to be sure no walls or anything else is in my way.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words so my idea is mounting nozzles in the green area, and if that will not work, the yellow is my second choice

Attachments

• Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 609
. . . towards the top I want to mount 2 alky nozzles, 1 for each side, I just need to be sure no walls or anything else is in my way. . . . .

You can mount the nozzles in the upper section per your picture, and mechanically, that will not be an issue.

The runner walls for 5 and 6 will not be in my way there to get to the other cylinders?

The runner walls for 5 and 6 will not be in my way there to get to the other cylinders?

OK, I see what you are asking.
Can't answer that with any degree of certainty since I have never opened one up. :frown:

I see what you are trying to do however the hot air intake is a maze.

To comment on both of your ideas:
Green Dot location: This would spray the alky at the very start of #5 & #6 intake runner. This would not benefit all cylinders.

Yellow Dot location: Does not even enter the plenum. That is a cast area outside of where the air charge goes. If you spray it there you will spray it into your lifter valley.

Below are pictures of an intake project that was started and never finished. The center divider and both intake runner dividers have been removed and some porting was started......its a project I will never finish.

How the Hot-Air Intake works:
The air from the turbo comes intake the manifold and is split buy the EGR hump in the middle. The air then follows runners down the length of the intake manifold. At the front of the intake manifold it then makes a turn into the mail plenum area before it goes to all the cylinders.

Where would I spray Alky?
I would put your 2 injectors at the turn between the intake runners and the main plenum on the front of your intake manifold. There is actually a hole already there from the factory as during the development phase of the 84/85s they did do water injection testing.

If you need me to describe the pictures just let me know.

Note....If anyone can use this intake let me know...I am willing to part with it.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 556
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 559
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 564
Turboregal, those are some awesome pics that was exactly what I was lookin for!!!

After studying how the air flows, I think I am going to install my nozzles where the green arrows are in the intake in the drawing, my theory is the nozzle on the right will spray the left bank and the left nozzle spray the right bank. I am hoping to get the angle just right to spray straight over the EGR hump and down the "zip tubes" fairly straight to try and cool the whole intake charge. Looks very possible to do.

I see how you recommend up front, but I want to see about cooling it right out of the turbo, along with a little time to completely vaporize.

Anybody want to take a shot at what size nozzles to use in this application, I know most use one M15, should I try two M7's? I will be using the standard shurflow pump and a check valve, (possibly a solenoid).

Attachments

• Modified hotair manifold.jpg
    Modified hotair manifold.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 558
herb, how much you want for it. im looking at doing another intake up and was going to cut it anyways.

Turboregal, those are some awesome pics that was exactly what I was lookin for!!!

After studying how the air flows, I think I am going to install my nozzles where the green arrows are in the intake in the drawing, my theory is the nozzle on the right will spray the left bank and the left nozzle spray the right bank. I am hoping to get the angle just right to spray straight over the EGR hump and down the "zip tubes" fairly straight to try and cool the whole intake charge. Looks very possible to do.

I see how you recommend up front, but I want to see about cooling it right out of the turbo, along with a little time to completely vaporize.

Anybody want to take a shot at what size nozzles to use in this application, I know most use one M15, should I try two M7's? I will be using the standard shurflow pump and a check valve, (possibly a solenoid).

i would try two m7's.

this is how i did mine. IMOP its the best way

87402d1258778299-how-fast-your-hot-air-what-mods-dscf0383.jpg

87403d1258778306-how-fast-your-hot-air-what-mods-dscf0414.jpg

Yep, that was exactly the way I was thinking of doing it, are you running two M7's boost231?

no running 2 m15's. i will change them out later for smaller ones, i will probley go with 10's

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Brief history of me and my car so you know why I am just now joining the forums:

I own an '85 GN that I ordered new from the factory back in '85 and it arrived with 3 miles on it, (turbo test at the factory), but me and my family have put on the last 247,001 miles. The plan was to reach 50,000 miles and park it but the wife started college, then I started college. We needed two cars and since the money was short we had to drive the GN. It was an 80 mile round trip so the miles stacked up.
My two kids learned to drive in the National as well as took their drivers test in it. They got to take it to school once and awhile as well as my son taking on dates. The car has a lot of family history and is more a family member than a car.
After I finished college I went to work for Polaris Industries to design engines for their ATVs, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, and Victory engines and the GN found a quite spot in the shop at home. The plan was for me and the kids, when the money got clear (Two college loans), to restore the car back to as close to new as we could. Over the years she had earned some small battle wounds and worn interior. They would then, someday, be co-owners. This was their idea not mine so selling the car is not an option.
However last March my son died of cancer after fighting it for 5 months, and it was a horrible battle. He left his 8 year old son without a father and that was the only thing he worried about during his illness. So now me and my daughter are starting to work on the car so that someday his son can take his driver's test in the same car as his dad. What a great car to learn top drive in!
The thing I'm up against is securing a good turbo for this year without breaking the bank so if anyone knows of one I'd be grateful.

I did say brief history right? Sorry this is so long but I've been waiting a long time for the day I would bring this car back.

Yes I did. Works great and drove it for about a month, but she's down right now getting ready for all the other parts I bought.