hot air cars

chrisg01

85-gnturbo
anyone know alot about hot air cars i could use some help with my project car gets hot after driving 10 or 15mins leaks oil from between tranny and motor but is coming from above the rear main havent determined the location exactly. car has digital dash all lights up just doesnt work right, when driving the car normal runs great but if you get past say 1/2 throttle it feels like your driving a 4cyl and doesnt build any boost it kinda boggs down. Any ideas guys would be nice im new at this although ive owned the car for 8yrs now its been a project all along any info will be helpful please and thanks.

Chris:cool:

anyone know alot about hot air cars i could use some help with my project car gets hot after driving 10 or 15mins leaks oil from between tranny and motor but is coming from above the rear main havent determined the location exactly. car has digital dash all lights up just doesnt work right, when driving the car normal runs great but if you get past say 1/2 throttle it feels like your driving a 4cyl and doesnt build any boost it kinda boggs down. Any ideas guys would be nice im new at this although ive owned the car for 8yrs now its been a project all along any info will be helpful please and thanks.

Chris:cool:

Distilled water with new thermostat, 160/180temp whichever you liked best. Most of us go with 160.

As for your digital Dash, Do you mean the entire digital dash or Tach/RPM gauge? Casper's electronics should repairs both. As for boggs down, check your wires, plugs. Set your TPS sensor to .42 idle WOT 4.6-4.8. Check your fuel pressure also.

First tho, What has been done to the car? name any upgrades even if just a 237 Bosch fuel pressure regulator and Cone air filter. Could be many things, I would do a tune up but make sure everything is in working order/to spec. We can all help you more from there.

The oil leak (to name a few places)could be coming either from worn out turbo oil return line gromet, valve cover gaskets, oil return hose (turbo to hose connetion) on my hotair, I notice my oil leak coming from back end of the valve covers. I plan on using cork along with alot of Hi temp RTV myself, this will be the 3rd time i do this minus the RTV.

Read Read and Read! this has helped many, I would look into the way your hoses are routed also, if wrong could be why no boost, then again so can a collapsed fuel sock, bad FPR ETC. Do a check list(sounds dumb) but helps and better then wasting money on parts you down need (yet)
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/33080-basic-hotair-info.html

hot air

upgrades include a computer chip that only runs on premium fuel the fan has been removed and an electric fan has been installed it might have a upgraded cam but i dont know that it has a slight lope when at idle i really dont know much about technical stuff with these cars how do you set the tps and wot and adjust the boost pressure it runs too high at 18psi and whetres the best place to get a scan tool.

hot air

The sparkplugs and wires are less than 6 months old the intake and turbo were put on it new off of a crate engine and it hasnt run right since the coil and module are correct and work well too.

Scantool, TurboTweak.com Fullthrottlespeed.com few other TR vendors. Might get a seller if you post in the wanted section(a little cheaper then retail 260$ maybe)
Decide which best suit your needs (for now and later) Most dailys go with scanmaster, More Dragster type go with powerlogger.
Scanmaster(stand alone scantool, good scan tool) or powerlogger(needs a laptop, bit better scan tool)

What chip is being used? Reds? TT?
THis other thread has some nice links on the DD dash http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/332256-dash-out-any-help.html (sorry had to rip this )

Casper's Electronics.com Can repair the Dash for you. - CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

You can Set the TPS with a multi meter I believe, a decent one should work. Set it to volts, with key just on set it to .42-44 at idle and WOT to 4.6-4.8. Do so just by moving the little switch on the TPS sensor. I don't have the link tho to how to tap into the TPS to get the reading but sure it's just ground then with power, contact the power wire on TPS(guessing sorry)

Your running 18lbs of boost? I take it you have a aftermarket boostgauge to read that much. What octane are you running to run that much?

I relly dont know what the chip is made by it doesnt have any markings on it its brown in color and the boost guage is aftermarket its a 30 psi boost guage and i only run it on premium fuel was you at bowling green this weekend the car also has a lifter thats knocking but thats too serious for me to mess with.

I relly dont know what the chip is made by it doesnt have any markings on it its brown in color and the boost guage is aftermarket its a 30 psi boost guage and i only run it on premium fuel was you at bowling green this weekend the car also has a lifter thats knocking but thats too serious for me to mess with.

Brown chip? hmm maybe a postons but sure another member will know. I haven't had the pleasure of going to BG. My car is in need of paint and other little items......a never ending list of items that haunt a turbo regal owner's soul and give him nightmares.

Is your oil level ....level:cool:, I know you can save the lifter (maybe) by using a little lucas HD or Marvel mystery oil. For swapping those lifters out I have never done this myself but If i did I would also add the 100lb springs while i'm at it.

Did you swap out your thermostat? still overheat? if so ho high does it get? what cooling fan do you have ?

Chris post this in the hot air section there will be a little more help over there for you.

Jamie