hooks hard then unloads

Scott Atk

Im trying to get my 60 foots down to something respectable. The car hooks hard for about 10 feet then I think the springs unload and the car loses traction. I seem to remember reading this is something that can be fixed with shocks???? I have boxed lowers, adjustable uppers, and a right side airbag @22 psi. The car has regular parts store gas shocks front and rear. Any advice would be great.

NO pinion snubber, right??? I had a good set of gas shocks on the rear and had a similar (not as bad) problem, and gave my good shocks to my Daughter, and took her cheap regular shocks.

Gas shocks are good for handling, but suck for drag traction. Pretty much the case for ANY handling item on the car. If it handles the corners well, it'll generally suffer at the drag strip, and vice-versa

Its probably bouncing off the air bag. This happens when their inflated too much.

Im hoping to get rid of the airbag if my HRparts rear bar ever comes. :( I finally took off the snubber about a month ago, I think it is a little better without it.

Dave, I've got an almost new pair of MONROE Sensa Tracs on the rear. I'll eventually get drag shocks, probably wait till I try the new rear sway bar though and see how it helps.
I always figured I didnt need front drag shocks because I get plenty of rise on the front end without em.

Originally posted by Scott Atk
Im trying to get my 60 foots down to something respectable. The car hooks hard for about 10 feet then I think the springs unload and the car loses traction. I seem to remember reading this is something that can be fixed with shocks???? I have boxed lowers, adjustable uppers, and a right side airbag @22 psi. The car has regular parts store gas shocks front and rear. Any advice would be great.
I had the same problem with my car. What I observed was when leaving hard it would hook then the posi would break loose spinning the right tire. I went to 24 lbs in the right air bag and this helps alot. I understand that if you run the ATR big sway bar that you don't have to run near as much pressure in the AB.
Steve