Hood Emblems? WTH?

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
Hi guys, I'm ordering a bunch of parts to be ready for when my car comes back from paint to be re-assembled. I broke my hood emblems, so I see GBodyParts.com has them for $49 (possibly each?) and Kirban's has them for $20/pair. Am I missing something?
Thanks
D

One might be aftermarket, one original. Not sure which is which. Probably both look the same.

Yeah, one says reproduction. Current GM list is about $60 each and they sell for around $40.

I like my GN better WITHOUT the hood emblems. Looks cleaner and easier to wax. :)

Same here, I never put them back on after paint. Would love to have them on the car as I think they look good, but cant stand the wax buildup. Thought about putting a thin magnet on the back of them so I could take them on and off, never got around to it.

Yeah, I have Repops on mine... and I keep breaking off the stupid "3" no matter how careful I am. The Repro's are flimsy plastic and GM's are metal. I have a complete set of original's to put on if I ever Repaint.

Yeah, I have Repops on mine... and I keep breaking off the stupid "3" no matter how careful I am. The Repro's are flimsy plastic and GM's are metal. I have a complete set of original's to put on if I ever Repaint.

I've broke plenty of original GM emblems. They aren't metal.

Hi guys, I'm ordering a bunch of parts to be ready for when my car comes back from paint to be re-assembled. I broke my hood emblems, so I see GBodyParts.com has them for $49 (possibly each?) and Kirban's has them for $20/pair. Am I missing something?
Thanks
D

I need to put a drop down menu on the site & get Dennis's up on the site as an option.
Last I checked my cost was $45. & change on GM hood emblems let me know who is selling them for $40 each.

Alan your correct they aren't metal but they probablly should have been.

I've seen all the emblems airbrushed (including hood) on a white T type in the 90's looked pretty good and cool.

Trust me they are not metal.

I believe ya Brian, you probably forgot more about TR's than I'll ever know. But I'm telling ya, magnets stick to GM's and not the repops, try it. Maybe the GM's have a heavier metallic plating?

I just put my super earth magnet on the emblems that were taken off of my car about 14+ years ago. I ASSume that they are GM emblems, but I am not the original owner so I can't verify that. The magnet does not stick to the emblem at all.

I originally liked the smooth look of no emblems, but I am now liking the stock look of the GM-cheesy-80's marketing-who cares its a 3.8 SFI Turbo emblem now. I was also thinking of somehow attaching it to the hood. Magnet wouldn't work for fiberglass or 120MPH runs:eek: Drilling small holes in FG hood and epoxying little pins on emblem seems very complicated especially with the underhood liner. I will NOT wax around them.
Someone has to have a better idea:confused:

I believe ya Brian, you probably forgot more about TR's than I'll ever know. But I'm telling ya, magnets stick to GM's and not the repops, try it. Maybe the GM's have a heavier metallic plating?

Rich I have ones from 13 years ago adhered on my bins so the guys could identify what is in that bin. I'll try it. I have some older originals as well. I know they used copper to get the chrome to stick to the plastic as well.

BTW back then I think they were like $8-9.00!

BTW back then I think they were like $8-9.00!

Yeah I have an 89 mitchell crash book with gm prices listed. It is downright amazing how cheap those parts are!

These are list prices:
Front fillers $21.65 each
Headlight bezels $30 each
Marker lamps 18.95 each
Backup lenses 11.90 each
Some were still pricey
Rear fillers 166 each
t top glass 610 each
intercooler 434

Hood Emblems

Hmmmmm. I never actually thought of not putting them back on? I know they can be a pain, but ME LIKES EM ;)

Got news for you GM was also plastic no different than the repros we make...even GM had the same issues busted number 3...

Not sure how you got metal ones but the GM ones are plastic.....

We had them reproduced because the price of GM is a fortune.

denniskirban@yahoo.com