Homemade liquid intercooler/ anyone made one?

Chris Taylor

Got 6?
I am looking for information on making a liquid intercooler. Has anyone made one or know of any information on this type of project?

This is for a race car, not a street car.

Thanks,
CT

As I stated above, information on making a liquid I/C.:rolleyes: What core was used. Was it a pump flow unit or ice and water only tank etc.. I was wondering if anyone had made a liquid I/C over purchasing one.

I am going to make one but would like to kick around a few ideas.

hey chris its rick looks like you have way to much time on your hands???hows everything going i am going to call you later on in the week if thats ok.need to talk car talk if you know what i mean ok be good and hope you get better rick

Rick,

The recovery is slow. I am trying to get this project rapped up. Feel free to call any time. I will be here. Ever made a liquid I/C?:D

no and if it was me i would have to by one but let me know how the project goes i will be calling you sometime this week rick got my car to 790 02s and 1545 on the egt i think i am getting there need some track time???

I'm making a hybrid (so to speak) air/water ~ air/air intercooler out of my Action Fab stretch. What I''m planning to do is box in the upper "original" core while leaving the lower half core exposed to the atmoshpere.

This is a weekend cruiser which will see more street time than track time, so I wanna keep it partially air/air to help alleviate any problems with heat soak of the water/air part. My buddy Neal Whyte ran his car this way for several years & I'm taking it a step further by adding a resevoir (stainless, sits where the stock coolant overflow bottle is) and pump to circulate the water/ice/alky mix & help increase the cooling capacity of the unit.

Doug C.

Doug,
I have seen some units like the one you mentioned. I need a I/C that flows a little more CFM that a stock unit. I will only be using this style of I/C at the track. Make sure to presure test your I/C for leaks before making the box. You know how the stock I/C leaks. You wouldn't want the water to leak into the I/C.

There are numerous liquid IC cores to choose from.

The biggest factor is how much area do you have to give up for said IC?

From there you can take a look at various designs to see what suits you the best. Keeping in mind the smallest might not flow the CFM you want.

I have room. This is for my turbo Buick powered Mustang. I have been think about using two stock Buick I/C's.