Home theater audio question

84GNTTYPE

I have a basic home theater set up in my college apartment. The DVD audio runs from the player to the receiver via a digital coax. The video runs from the player to the non-HD TV via component video cables.

When watching a DVD the audio and the video gradually become out of sync. It takes about 45 minutes before the audio lags behind the video enough for it to be easily noticeable. Also, sometimes the audio simply "dies" for 2-3 seconds. If I pause the DVD and then play it the lag process "starts over".

I have a Dolby Digital receiver made by RCA and my DVD player is just a cheap Apex model from Wal-Mart. All components (DVD player, receiver, and TV) are new. I'm going to try a different DVD player tonight and see if it helps . . . but otherwise does anyone else have any ideas? Is the receiver just not processing things soon enough?

Thanks for anything.
-John

Appex ouch

Not to rufful any feathers, buuuut, appex is junk. I bought two of them for family members as X-mass gifts 3 years ago. They both went south in a year. I'd start there.

DAve

then after junking the Apex,,do the same with the RCA,Buy once and dont be cheap all the money cant go to the Buick.. :cool: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

They are all DVD's that I own.

Brought a Sony DVD player home to try and it seems to have taken care of the audio/video sync issue. Not sure about the random dead audio spots yet.

The Apex is definitely going back this weekend.

Thanks for the input.

if the problem still is occuring, other then replacing the cheaper commponents of your system make sure that the power feeding the components is correct. EX: if you plug everything into a surge protector or an electrical extension with extra inlets, make sure its a good quality one such as MONSTER CABLE surge protector. another EX: could be the actual RCA cables used to hookeverything up. Some times the cable that come with the components just arn't up to par.

I think one of the first replies said it best "buy once and buy good quality" If something sucks and doesn't work it is definitly lame! You can't really put a price on frustration or pissed off ness so buying good stuff the first time will actually probably in the long run save you money, but more importantly it will definitly save some ego/time/and energy trying to fix it.

just my 2 cents good luck!

RCA junk?

Wow surprised by that comment. Always thought of RCA as a good compnay. I have always had great things from them. They have one of the best customer services in the industry. Just thought most beleived it was a quality company.
DAve

I have an Onkyo digital receiver and a toshiba dvd player if you want to upgrade.
May even trade for buick parts.....

If you can afford it.....Denon and M&K THX speakers. The combo will blow your doors off!

Cheeseburger said:
I have an Onkyo digital receiver and a toshiba dvd player if you want to upgrade.
May even trade for buick parts.....

Is the Onkyo 7.1? If so I'd be interested. Have Buick parts, too.

Jim

Too technical for me....mine will do the same thing but only on certain DVDs.

Thanks for the input guys. I replaced the DVD player with a Sony unit and everything is working fine now.