RF Modulators, DVD Players, Stereos, and Old TV's (long)

84GNTTYPE

My parents got a DVD player for Christmas and now I am trying to hook it up for them, the way they want it.

They have an older TV that only has a coax RF input, a DVD player, and a stereo system that has an aux/video input for playing TV or movies through the speakers.

In the past they had their coax antenna signal hooked through their VCR and the stereo audio signal coming out of the VCR. They were able to play movies and TV shows through the stereo speakers.

In order to hook their new DVD player into their TV, they had to get an RF Modulator. This modulator has a Video in jack, two Audio in (L&R), two audio out (to go to the stereo), an antenna in, and an antenna out.

Everything works fine when they want to watch a DVD. The modulator turns on, the video signal goes to the TV and the audio goes to the TV and the stereo. Once the DVD player is turned off the modulator goes off also.

But, when they watch TV, they are unable to play the TV audio signal through the stereo. No matter what I try, I can't get the TV coax signal to go to the stereo also. To me it seems like it should be possible since everything is all tied together.

I am thinking that maybe it has something to do with the RF modulator automatically turning on and off with the DVD player. When the DVD player is on you can't watch TV, but can hear audio through the stereo. Once the DVD is off, the mod is off and you can watch TV, but can't get audio through the stereo.

I would appreciate any help or insight you all could give me. I'm willing to try pretty much anything. If this is impossible, please tell me that also!

Thanks!