Home Improvement thread 2: Direct TV discussion

GN One Day...

I was talking to my neighbor about his DSS. He told me to check a site: www.expertsatellite.com. They're offering 4 rooms/receivers, free install, free equipment and an optional TIVO for $50.

I only need 3, but with the package starting at about $40/mo, that's right at what I pay for cable. I'm thinking they may tack on some for each receiver over 1, but I don't see that here yet. It does pick up my local channels now.

Is there any reason not to go for this? Our cable system sucks and has about a quarter of the channels. I could get SPEED!

Discuss please!

EDIT: yep, $49.97 with 3 rooms, plus sales tax.

direct tv is great , but if you pay for it , it can get expensive. i think they charge you like 5 bucks for each additional receiver, its been a long time since i paid for it, i mean had it.:rolleyes: :D

The only drawback, I know of, is that you'll loose the signal if it is raining very hard. Other than that, I have been very satisfied with it.

I'm familiar with the rain thing. Not crazy about that, we do get some rain here. No snow, so that's a small consolation. Line of sight for the dish isn't an issue either.

Went ahead and ordered. They're also doing a free DVD player at that site, along with the free receivers/dish, shipping rebate and free installation. Add'l charges so far: $20 for triple LNB dish to get local channels, extra $25 for a receiver upgrade. Still, not bad.

Still up for any opinions or things to look out for, especially if they're prone to any "catches" on the installation.

Remember that with any satellite system, its much more finicky then cable tv is in terms of connections. Because of the nature of the technology, you will need a "home run" of RG-6 (not regular RG-59) from EACH reciever back to the dish (or a central multi-switch location). Thats usually where they zing you for installation charges. Your existing RG-59 cabletv cable that has splitters all over the house will not work.

FYI!

Whats the deal with line of sight on these things? I've been interested in going this route as well, but I have been told the dish has to face Southwest I believe, an my apt balcony faces Northeast:rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up on the cable. I know the free installation has limits on length of cable, but I didn't know the type of cable was an issue. I think it should be an easy install, from where the dish would be mounted is pretty straightforward to the rooms.
We're only going with 2 rooms, and they are closest to where the dish will be. Not sure how they get the cable inside the house though, maybe a hole by the window? If they go inside and down a wall to a new outlet that may cost extra.

Mark,
The Direct TV satellite is over Houston, so you have to have it clear in a SW direction. Watch out for installing in a place that may have leaves blocking in when Spring comes. Would your landlord let you put it on the roof or a tree that would still give you a clear shot?

Originally posted by striker_29
Whats the deal with line of sight on these things? I've been interested in going this route as well, but I have been told the dish has to face Southwest I believe, an my apt balcony faces Northeast:rolleyes:

Because the satellites are in a geosynchronous orbit over the Equator. You (the dish) must be able to see the southern sky, unobstructed.

Don't forget to mention the mandetory one year contract.

I've had Dish for about 3 years now and have experienced rain fade maybe 5 or 6 times, even with all the rain we had here this year. I'm looking at upgrading to a new receiver they have now that includes a high def tuner for off the air broadcasts since the area stations are just now going to that. Might be something else to look at.

David

I don't think there's much you can get out there now without a year commitment these days. :rolleyes:
Worth it for the free equipment. I remember selling these things in college when they first came out. $799 for the deluxe model that would allow you to add a 2nd receiver, at a cost of $199. Then installation was another $200. LOL! Times have changed. Programming charges on this don't seem to have gone up like local cable has though.

I don't have a HD/16:9 setup, so I'll wait until the TV's go down (a LOT) before worrying about the HDTV. I think the dish is going to look sweet on my new 32" Panasonic flat tube though! :D

EDIT: Is Top Gear on BBC America now? DL'ing gets old.