HOA Issues

xlr8ngn

I submitted an application for a new room, patio, and driveway to my rear garage from a side street and it was approved two and a half years ago. The "new" board members do not like what I am doing and sent me a letter back in August my application was denied. I called one of the new board members and told him it was approved two years before. He said he supposedly just received my application and denied it. He asked if I had my letters of approval from before and I said yes. He said they could not do anything to change a previous approval. It sounded to me like he hoped I did not have my previous approval letters. Anyway, I recently started some grading and digging footings for the room. I had two city code enforcers come and look at my house because they had a complaint from my HOA that I may be doing work without a permit. I just happen to see them outside and I walked out to talk to them. They had a copy of my original application from two and a half years ago that was given to them by the HOA without my approval letters attached. The conversation went well, they were really nice guys, and nothing I have done up to this point requires a permit. I gave them copies of my approval for their records. From my application they explained what I do need to get inspected and I will be getting a master permit for everything. Now here is my beef. Is my HOA allowed to give my application to the city as I consider that personal information. Also, I called the board president and told him they should have given me the courtesy to contact me first before they called the city. He said a "neighbor" had complained. I told him I think that is not true and the board is the source of the complaint because I know all my neighbors well and we are all friends. I also told him I think they tried to pull a fast one on me with the letter of denial back in August and that they are not the code enforcement police for the city. I told him I want to meet and see all the paperwork they have along with this supposed complaint. I have a meeting set up with them in a few days. My main question I would like to know is my original application I sent to the HOA something they can share with the city at their will or is it considered personal information? TIA.

Be very polite! Be very calm! Document everything and I mean everything. Keep copies of the minutes of their meetings and be sure to attend all of them. Make these HOA people know you are serious and that you will follow the rules.

I assume they are elected so they can't stay forever. This is how I handled a school board and made them know I was serious. Once it is known how you are treated I would think they could be elected out of office just like they were elected in.

As in RoadHouse Patrick Swayze said "just be nice"