Hit a curb, back regal passenger side rim literally broke off the axle

eduardo

G-Body87
ok so I recently had a hydroplane accident that happens over the weekend causing me to loose control of my car and smash dead into a curb (as bad as it is in my eyes it could have been worse but I've accepted the damage and am looking on the bright side) so the rim broke off with the whole drum and by the looks of it the stem went along with it (not to sure if it's part of the axle, hope not!) but as far as I can tell I'm definitely going to be needing a new hub along with a drum and all that is needed within it! I'm hoping someone can help me with finding the right parts needed! Thanks,
Eduardo

You may wanna have the complete rear end checked to see if it got bent. Also that is a lot of force on the differential.

You may wanna have the complete rear end checked to see if it got bent. Also that is a lot of force on the differential.
"Yikes" yea I'm afraid I'm gonna have to, I barley managed to get the car home and have it parked in my driveway so that's where it is gonna sit till I have the right amount of funds to take care of it, hopefully the news isn't to bad on that inspection! But regardless I am gonna be needing a replacement on that drum and hub

This is what the axles look like. If you broke the flange off of the axle, you[re going to be buying new axles. If that is the case, I would recommend you have a good shop go through the entire rear end and suspension - that would be one helluva hit!!

!BKVP(fw!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DgEjlLl1CLoBJZ(7qQFWw~~_35.JPG

Just install an axle, bearing and a seal and you should be OK.

I recently replaced an axle in a customer's GN that hit a curb and did more damage than yours, and it drives fine.

It does not take much of a side ways hit to separate the flange, not the first one I have replaced.

Suggest pulling the rear cover, the cross-shaft retaining bolt, cross-shaft, c-clips, and DR side axle. Then use a long rod (or possibly a broomstick handle if it's long enough) to drive out the damaged axle stub. You'll prolly need a backing plate too...

Just install an axle, bearing and a seal and you should be OK.

I recently replaced an axle in a customer's GN that hit a curb and did more damage than yours, and it drives fine.

It does not take much of a side ways hit to separate the flange, not the first one I have replaced.
Understood Well that's relief, I do have a mechanic that has great deal of understanding to these cars, I actually have him coming over tomorrow morning to give it an inspection along with an estimation. I will still expect the worse news possible but I hope it is what you say it is! I'll post updates as soon as I can.
Thanks,
Eduardo

Suggest pulling the rear cover, the cross-shaft retaining bolt, cross-shaft, c-clips, and DR side axle. Then use a long rod (or possibly a broomstick handle if it's long enough) to drive out the damaged axle stub. You'll prolly need a backing plate too...
:eek::whistle: I really need to learn these things!!! Thanks

You might consider buying insurance...oh wait the last time I suggested that I got a two vacation from TB.com...so never mind.

Thanks, as for insurance I do have full coverage "Allstate", I had a mechanic who was recommended to me by a member on this site come over this morning who gave the car a thorough inspection to axle as well as the other damages. hopefully my insurance can cover this without trying to total out the vehicle. I have an agent coming out tomorrow to rule it out, so I'll find out soon enough!

Should be cheaper to have repaired than insurance going up sky high. Looks like you got a lucky break though. No pun intended.

Yea I did think that through, but fortunately I had put myself under the "gold package" if I'm not mistaken is the name. So if the insurance is able to cover all the damages it won't have an effect on what I usually pay per month, but yeah if it turns out being just that axle issue and would come out being cheaper to have it taken care of out of pocket then I will

The same thing happened to me when I first got my Buick, back in 2000. In my case, the Powermaster was failing (and I knew ZERO about it) and had leaked brake fluid down the frame rail, and I must have driven over it, because the car fishtailed like I had never experienced before, and next thing I knew I was up against the curb with a broken axle.

I did what Nick said: replaced axles (Moser stock replacements), bearings, and seals, and the pass backing plate, and 15 years & 30k miles later, no issues to report. I also got to replace the Powermaster - that almost made me sell the car. :)

I learned tons of stuff about the car that month. Good luck with your repair.