High Pitched Whine in Fuel Pump

huntsg

I got home yesterday afternoon after installing a new aluminum radiator and noticed a very hi pitched whine coming from the rear of the car and diagnosed that it was coming from the fuel tank. Car was running fine with no hesitation or stalling. I disconnected the hotwire kit and put a new connector on the lead that goes to the engine compartment for power and also ensured that i had good ground (car has a lot of undercoating). When I fired it up after these changes last night the whine was gone. I drove it all day today with no issues until I came home from work this evening and the whine is back. Anybody have this happen to them? Car still runs fine and fuel pressure at idle is still good (42 psi). I dont know the pressure at WOT but it seems to be getting plenty of fuel. The XP fuel pump I have in the tank has less than 500 miles on it as does the hotwire kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Intermittant noises are very hard to isolate.

I have used 3 pumps: stock, Walbro, & Denso.

I have trouble hearing the Denso. I could hear the other 2 from inside the TR.

I also use a hotwire setup & I also ran #10 hot & ground to the pump. I also use Caspers ground kit.

I recommend running at least a #10 wire from the battery to the tank or even to the pump to insure you have a good ground.

These TRs had basickly inadequate wiring from the factory.

Sounds like the pump is overworking. Possibly some debris is gathering around the pickup blocking fuel.

I just went out and started the car again and the whine is much much lower. Im guessing it will be gone within the hour. It seems that it starts to whine if I drive it for a little while and then goes away once it gets to "rest".

mine did the same thing...i questioned how long it would last...had Jack Cotton put in a new pump and hotwire kit for me....havent really driven it since then, but walking behind it i really didn't hear it , have to fill the tank in the next couple of days, we'll c if it went away

trash in the tank will cause this problem.. the strainer will pick it up and restrict the flow causing the pump to work harder. when u let it sit it will fall back into the tank. my car did this periodicially cleaned the tank, replaced the straner. no more problems.. that was 5 years ago!