High Mileage CLUB?

the 85 went 130k when the cam sensor gear on the cam sensor snapped. 87 has 156+ and still runs like new; will get a timing chain, oil pump kit and the obligatory rear main seal soon just as pre-emptive strike.

It's not a turbo buick, but I have 441,XXX on the Chevelle. And It's only gone through 11 engines, 4 transmissions, 2 rear ends, and 2 different colors. ;)

115,000 daily driver 87 GN late production . bought in Norristown PA. with 1000 miles Replaced 2 powermasters.had one rebuilt for 750.00 back when no one was remanufacturing them (If this much info was available back in the day so many of us would'nt have part chased ).. ughh. Have the Rebuilt lifetime guarantee Cardone PM hope this one lasts... Replaced gas tank.. fuel pump and hot wire kit.. best investment for the car bar none. Replaced MAF. Heater Core...Starter..Alternator.., and Intake gasket. thanks to my dad for the help there lots of work.. top end looked great.. Car has only Had Mobil 1 Synthetic since i have owned every 3000 or less.3 sets of tires. have the small leak from rear main that alot GN's had from day 1. Knock on wood it still runs great no timing chain or tranny problems yet (fingers crossed)... Have new 87 NOS radio Im putting in soon and Antenna kit.

On another note...Some of the older nascar guys i work with still say the GN block is best they have ever worked with.. The Old Busch Grand National Days. And Bob Varsha Still says its one of the better cars to collect as he told me at Speed channel and also on the Barrett Jackson show.

Since the thread is back from the dead...just turned 40k miles. And 59k on the TTA. The miles are racking up.

Jason

RISE! I command thee! RISE from the dead! Old thread of the past...

:D

135k on daily driver. Bought it five years ago from original owner with 95k. Replaced front and rear seals, timing chain, valve springs.

Wow, this is a crusty old thread!

The old sled is up to 205k now - still running alcohol and 22lbs of boost.

227K on my 1st 87 GN. Ran the dog out of it all the time. Timing chain at 98K under factory warranty. A couple of water pumps, alternators, a TE-44 at 150K when stock turbo died, trans and red stripe convertor when factory trans started slipping at 176K. Parked due to multiple pieces needing a rebuild, front end, trans, engine.
The TSM car has less than 75K and the 85 T has 114K. My 86 GN had 97K when it was totaled. Sold an 86 T with 212K and it is still running strong.
John

QWIKTURBO said:
Yup...stock timing chain, water pump, injectors, valve springs, EVERYTHING internal basically. Now...I am on my 2nd tranny, 2nd convertor, 3rd turbo, 5th-6th set of tires, etc.....

Did I mention stock exhaust pipes...minus muffler and Cat! It has a factory installed "Garrett" muffler up front anyways! Just replaced them with straight pipe!!:D

What is this "Garrett muffler"? I'm only at 79XXX, but I think the top is going to rot before the engine goes(stupid crappy weatherstripping)....be it 100k or 500k :D
My 66 GTO had 125k and it ran like a champ! It had been dogged all its life(big surprise), but still was more willing and sounded more than capable of handling a 7k rev(opps missed a gear :O) than my 5.0 mustang even though they redlined and 5k and 6k respectively...

The 'Garrett muffler'...that's funny...but true.

Ours reads about 186K, but has been wrong (slow) for years because of the tire size. If you factor that in it, it's about 194K. not really concerned about it, but nothing more than a timing chain, general maintanence and some go fast goodies. Maybe a gasket here and there.

Oh yes, and the turbo was replaced before 50k under fcty warranty, but the replacement is still going.

oh yeah I have...I just didn't realize what he was saying - I thought that there really was a true muffler up front :O

156k ..... nothing but valve springs......It is currently my daily driver (105 miles round trip every day) ..... I have put 17k miles on it since I began driving it (only off and on at first) around October/November of last year.....

almost 170k and still going strong! so far all that's been done is a timing chain, and the original owner had the heads reconditioned at the dealership a few years back due to some hot spot valve junk or whatever he told me. I was racking up the miles, and finally got another daily driver, so now it'll probably blow up sooner now that i'm modding it more :biggrin:

My 86 GN has 147,500 on it. Still pretty much stock, never had to do anything to the motor. Turbo went out about 95,000 mi. ORIGINAL STOCK O2 sensor went out at 120,000 mi at the ripe age of 14. Pretty good 02 sensor! Car still cranks every time, drive it anywhere. Great daily driver, I can't complain, she been good to me! And it's now 20 years old! ;)

this is an old one, i had 152k back in the origional post. i sold the car with 160k and the new owner decided the knocking noise was nothing and poped a motor out racing after i told him not to run it hard... oh well, thats what you get when you don't listen.

the gs just hit 150k miles this week. only problem so far is a fuel pump going out. but don't buy an american car, they aren't reliable at all...

well at 125k my turbo just died :( , but i got another one and were like wille nelson -on the road again :biggrin: