High Leakdown test, whats next for TTA?

T62TTA

Well, just completed performing my first cylinder leakdown test. Approximately 2 months ago I did a compression test only and got satisfactory readings in the 150-155psi readings. Anyways these are the results using the dual gauge Proform leakdown tester:

Cylinder 1: 35%leakdown
Cylinder 3 30%
Cylinder 5 70%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cylinder 2 40%
Cylinder 4 50%
Cylinder 6 25%

I turn the pulley to find TDC then install the gauge to get my readings. I also found out if I just inserted the gauge, the compressed air would force the cylinder to TDC and get the same readings as if I turn it into the compression stroke. To find TDC, I just listed to the compression out the spark plug hole or just a piece of straw inside to estimate the piston travel when at TDC. Either way these numbers are alarming and would be the answer to to why I have not been able to run any faster that 13.3 with the bolt on I have which should be good for low 12 or high 11's I would think.

I can not detect where the leakage is going to. I did not detect any coolant bubbles or air hissing by the intake or exhaust. No hissing or air hear escaping from the breather or dipstick. What should I do next to verify this test?

You'll have to pull the heads to see what's going on. I burnt a piston in mine, but it wasn't very noticeable at first. It was just at the tip of the ring land..

You may find a hg failure blowing into the intake valley, usually smoke and or oil will come out of the breathers though....

HTH good luck!

Smoke does come out the breather on initial cold start

I do get smoke coming out the breather, only temporarily when on an initial cold startup. It looks like steam is coming out the breather until it warms up. I have monitored my coolant levels and I have absolutely no lost of coolant. I do top of the oil with about a quart every 1000miles approx. Recently I sent my 15/50 mobil one synthetic oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis and nothing look out of the ordinary except for the excessive lead readings that could possibly indicate bearings. However, further analysis is needed and they suggested I send them another sample after 2500 miles to compare. It could be a rocker arm out of lash or adjustment? Stuck valve? Is there some other test I could do to narrow the problem? What if I took out my heads, what would indicate an obvious problem?

Another thing to look for is streched valves. Also a valve warped in the back face can give bad readings.