High EGT numbers

DCGN

I went to the strip the other night and made two runs. First run, EGT's were 1713, 02's 753, KR 0.7. Increased WOT fuel 2% with Translator and made another run. EGT's were 1714, 02's 734, KR 0.0. Static fuel pressure @ 48 PSI. This on 93 and alky. I know the 02's are a little low but my car always runs high EGT 's even when the 02's are in the 780's. I did increase the static fuel pressure to 50 PSI and made a blast the next morning and the 02's were @ 765 and EGT's @ 1662. Obviously that is better but still too high. The car ran great with no knock. But isn't 50 PSI static fuel pressure a little too high? I have good FP reg and a Walbro 340 pump, hot wired.

My EGT's have been high for over a year and the down pipe is blue down to about 8 inches from the turbo but I am getting little or no knock retard. Can someone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks, Dan

What boost levels are you at? I always chase fuel with boost dangerous to go the other way, if possible turn the fuel PSI back to 48PSI and then turn down you boost levels until the car riches up. Then start creeping your boost levels back up until desired EGT numbers are acheived. Also is this max readings? at what RPM do you record your highest temps, and in what gear?

Mine is usually around 1650-1750 as well. It has gone higher than that by mistake. But it did not knock with 116. I try to keep mine no higher than 1750.

If the car runs good, and you don't get knock, then the EGT is Ok. EGT readings will vary from one car to the next, depending on lots of things, to it's hard to say that a temp is too high,or too low, just based on the read-out without considering other things.

GNDriven, I was running 21 lbs of boost. 5400 RPM's in 3rd gear at the end of the quarter. EGT set on max hold.

Thanks,
Dan

3rd gear is definitly were I read my highest EGT#s. I was taught that 1600F was the target temp. Having to high EGTs is one thing, not being able to control them is another. DCGN try turning boost down until the EGTs become lower.

You should have no truble with 60lb injectors and TE-60 turbo..meaning you have plenty of fuel. Just take the car out on the interstate turn boost levels to 14lbs and get into third gear and slowly press the gas to the floor to simulate a third gear blast while capturing the MAX EGT. Let me know.

DCGN said:
I went to the strip the other night and made two runs. First run, EGT's were 1713, 02's 753, KR 0.7. Increased WOT fuel 2% with Translator and made another run. EGT's were 1714, 02's 734, KR 0.0. Static fuel pressure @ 48 PSI. This on 93 and alky. I know the 02's are a little low but my car always runs high EGT 's even when the 02's are in the 780's. I did increase the static fuel pressure to 50 PSI and made a blast the next morning and the 02's were @ 765 and EGT's @ 1662. Obviously that is better but still too high. The car ran great with no knock. But isn't 50 PSI static fuel pressure a little too high? I have good FP reg and a Walbro 340 pump, hot wired.

My EGT's have been high for over a year and the down pipe is blue down to about 8 inches from the turbo but I am getting little or no knock retard. Can someone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks, Dan

You've got plenty of advice coming in on the EGT thing, so I'll add my .02 about your tuning techniques.
My question is, why are you messing with your fuel pressure when you've already got two excellent tuning aids already on board? You've got the translator, and extender chip. Both can tune your fuel delivery with little effort.
You should never have to make a fuel pressure adjustment with those items available to you, and it's just too many things fighting each other.
You should only need to set your fuel pressure for good looking idle BLM's and then use the Translator or extender for fuel map tuning (whichever end of the spectrum you need).

TurboDave,
Thanks for your reply. You are exactly right, I should be adjusting the fuel via the Translator or the Extender chip. I have tried that and don't seem to get much results. As you can see in my original post I increased the WOT fuel with the Translator 2% before the second run, which I realize isn't much, but the EGT's stayed basically the same and the 02's went down. Maybe I just didn't dial in enough fuel to make much of a difference. I am going to back the static back down to 48 PSI and increase the WOT fuel with the Translator about 10% and try that. I have already increased the base fuel 10% in the Translator. When I installed the 60 lb injectors the idle BLM's were at 140. The 10% richer base brought the BLM's down to 130. I want to run 21 or 22 PSI boost and I know I can. I am doing it now without knock but I was concerned about the high EGT numbers. Thanks again for all your replies.

Dan

Look at your plugs. Very reliable test. You may be too rich and are having fuel being burned in your exhaust? :) That narrow band o2 is not much good really.

Where is your EGT mounted? Just curious.

Nobody has asked this.. what timing are you running?

Bet its low. If you ran alky chip timing typically mid 20's.. it would be way lower.

Also your leaning out on the top end. You should be targeting 780-800's for O2's and start from there. And a car running 115 in the 1/4.. should be running 1550-1600.

Everyone starts at 750.. then have issues. Especially with alcohol.

And.. who's kit, any drivability issues at 8-10 PSI boost?

Personally I dont like high egt's.. if your at 1700 degree's and pickup a little knock.. it will spike past 1800. No room for errors.

And yes.. adjust FP to get bl's in line.. then adjust chip to get target O2's in line via chip/translator.

turbo2nr,

I have checked the plugs and they are a light gray. I am definitely not rich. EGT probe is mounted in header just below 02 sensor.

Razor,

Timing is 23/21. You are correct....I am leaning out on top end. I can do a 2nd gear blast only and the 02's are at high 7's or low 8's. I have a DIY alky kit with .030 jet. I have it set to turn on at 8 lbs boost. I have no part throttle knock or driveability problems. However, I'm sure I could use more alcohol at top end. I have been running 50/50 denatured and water but I am getting ready to switch to methanol.
Thanks for your reply.

Dan

The car is too lean. You need to richen it up before you hurt something. If you can get your O2 voltage closer to 780mv and your EGT down to 1600 max things will live a lot longer. I agree with Dave you should add fuel thru the translator first.

Neal

Thanks Neal,
I agree I am too lean and I will richen it up via the Translator. But I still don't understand why I am not getting any knock.
Dan

try using straight denatured or try methenhol,take the water out of the picture,

? what kind of pump are you using and how old is it?

also check all your electrical connections.

just my 2 cents JD :D :D

DCGN said:
Razor,

Timing is 23/21. You are correct....I am leaning out on top end. I can do a 2nd gear blast only and the 02's are at high 7's or low 8's. I have a DIY alky kit with .030 jet. I have it set to turn on at 8 lbs boost. I have no part throttle knock or driveability problems. However, I'm sure I could use more alcohol at top end. I have been running 50/50 denatured and water but I am getting ready to switch to methanol.
Thanks for your reply.

Dan

Your problem is self created. You run 21 degree's, have water mixed in with your alcohol, running a fixed pressure system, etc.

Hope you dont burn a hole into it.

Straight alcohol, bump the timing to 23-24 degree's, add fuel in the translator.. it will cure the condition.

Now the problem will be can your pump handle methanol? And if the jetting is appropriate for what your trying to do?

BTW.. who told you to run 50/50?

Razor,
Are you saying run 23 to 24 degrees in 3rd and 4th gear? I am running 23 in 1st and 2nd now. My pump has been modified to be compatible with methanol. I don't know....someone in our local club suggested water and alcohol mix would cool the combustion chamber better than straight alky. Anyway, I will try running straight methanol and bump the fuel up with the translator. Thanks for your help.

Dan