High coolant temps with upgraded radiator and dual fans

Thanks for the pics. Could Caspers build the new harness with a manual fan override? I have an extra on/off toggle in my ashtray switch panel I could use for that. Switch off, fans run like normal through the ecm. Switch on, both fans on.

All these posts and nobody mentioned the 180 degree thermostat. I'd throw a 160 in and get the second fan to come on...and I bet you'll be good to go.

I'm having issues with my new stroker. 180-185 normal....( with a 160 stat). Stock fan, thats had the ballast resistor by-passed. It's not working in traffic or high heat...( getting up to 211). I do not have room for dual fans, so I have to go with one large fan and center the motor between the intercooler pipes, and then make a new relay harness from scratch. It's gonna be some work.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed my Alradco radiator and dual fan set-up yesterday, and you guessed it only one fan runs. I thought the fan was defective until this morning I switched the wires, and the fans are fine. So now I jump on this thread and see that the new harness that comes with the kit throws the fans back to factory ECM control. The cheap Intrepid fans I had in always ran on high when the temp gets over 160, (I had racetronix wiring for that set-up, which runs both fans when cooling) now with the new set-up the one fan comes on at 160 and the temp climbs to 185....on drive at midnight, reading that the 2nd fan won't come on until 210 or A/C is on. Looks like I will move both hot wires into the low speed circuit as mentioned above. I just assumed that the new set-up would keep my temps at 160, like the chip and thermostat are set at.

Chuck

Last edited:
I run a 180 stat with a f body rad, dual fans and a precision front mount. My temp oscillates between 180 and 190.

A 160 stat will not help if the system is not up to the task.

Did you burp the system when first filled?

Rick

We're having Caspers make another harness for us so both fans run. If you want one of those just give me a call or drop me an email. Thanks.

Peter

I just installed my Alradco radiator and dual fan set-up yesterday, and you guessed it only one fan runs. I thought the fan was defective until this morning I switched the wires, and the fans are fine. So now I jump on this thread and see that the new harness that comes with the kit throws the fans back to factory ECM control. The cheap Intrepid fans I had in always ran on high when the temp gets over 160, (I had racetronix wiring for that set-up, which runs both fans when cooling) now with the new set-up the one fan comes on at 160 and the temp climbs to 185....on drive at midnight, reading that the 2nd fan won't come on until 210 or A/C is on. Looks like I will move both hot wires into the low speed circuit as mentioned above. I just assumed that the new set-up would keep my temps at 160, like the chip and thermostat are set at.

Chuck

I run a 180 stat with a f body rad, dual fans and a precision front mount. My temp oscillates between 180 and 190.

A 160 stat will not help if the system is not up to the task.

Did you burp the system when first filled?

Rick

Yes Rick, all the air is out, but everyone should be aware that you just can't fill the radiator and drive off, fill it, start the car and keep filling it, then take a short drive come back and fill it again, repeat until it stays filled.

Chuck

Yes Rick, all the air is out, but everyone should be aware that you just can't fill the radiator and drive off, fill it, start the car and keep filling it, then take a short drive come back and fill it again, repeat until it stays filled.

Chuck

You have to burp like a baby , keep patting its back and it will burrrrrrrrrrrp !!!!