HID Conversion Kits??

Genuine Phillips D2S 4300k HID bulbs, 35W digital electronic ballasts, believe these came from an Alradco HID kit.
Hella H1 100watt bulbs for high beam.
Am removing them as I am going another direction with my lighting.

HID stands for High Intensity Discharge.

HID headlight bulbs put out many more lumens than OEM halogen bulbs. The housing that reflects these bulbs are either designed for halogen or not. A HID bulb in a halogen reflector would cause so much light scatter that it would make on comming traffic to think you had your high beams on +10.

Current HID bulbs are projected through HID projectors, which is a lens with a shield that makes a solid light cutoff line in a DOT specific shape. There are a few instances of HID reflectors like older Escalades that were designed for HID bulbs. There are many instances of halogen projectors as well, they look cool but are cheaper to make.

I would question any square shaped reflector made for HID bulbs. There may be too much light refraction to blind on comming traffic. HIDs put out so much light they must have a cutoff for low beam settings, which is a challenge for non projector style housings.

Color temperature, watts, and ballast style mean nothing compared to the manner in which the light will be dissipated on the road.

Thanks for your informative dissertation regarding the above.
I have installed anti-glare shields in the Hella Halogen H4 housings which although does not totally eliminate glare, does reduce it significantly.
My personal experience with this set up while driving at night has been that not once has oncoming traffic flashed their high beams due to glare.

These anti-glare shields have been used successfully by many in this type of conversion to achieve a beam pattern that is not offensive to oncoming traffic.
The anti-glare shields block the light from reflecting down onto the bottom reflector in the headlight and directs to the upper headlight reflector which throws the light down and reduces the dangerous glare which would result in an installation without the shield.

Here are a few links that will further explain and back up the above statements.

http://www.hidorigin.com/h4-to-d2s-d2r-adaptors-with-glare-shield-gen-3.html

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/HID-Xenon-Technical-Details.html

Last edited:
Those look like a good setup, I just wanted to provide some information for anyone who hasn't read up on the subject. Go with something like posted above and avoid knockoffs from eBay or a less reputable dealer.