Hemco Plenum

You can get one directly from Santa, the Easter Bunny, or most Unicorns...lol

They are hard to find. Guys post pretty often looking and not many pop up on their own. When they do...they are snatched up quick.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You can get one directly from Santa, the Easter Bunny, or most Unicorns...lol

They are hard to find. Guys post pretty often looking and not many pop up on their own. When they do...they are snatched up quick.

Thanks for the heads up

I'm surprised to see that there's still some demand for that outdated thing. I've never had one and never wanted one either, especially that now that there are some"power plates" and fabricated aluminium plenums on the market, making that Hemco unit kinda "old school". Also when you look under it, you can see that it has an opening about half the size than the factory one, so they can't let as much air get into the engine...:rolleyes: I know that the factory plenum might not be perfect to distribute air evenly to all cylinders, but with the Hemco, it's the quantity of air that is very likely to be less...

But still, if you got to have one, well, I wish you good luck in your search,

Claude. ;)

There is only so much air that can go through the throttle body anyway!!

I'm surprised to see that there's still some demand for that outdated thing. I've never had one and never wanted one either, especially that now that there are some"power plates" and fabricated aluminium plenums on the market, making that Hemco unit kinda "old school". Also when you look under it, you can see that it has an opening about half the size than the factory one, so they can't let as much air get into the engine...:rolleyes: I know that the factory plenum might not be perfect to distribute air evenly to all cylinders, but with the Hemco, it's the quantity of air that is very likely to be less...

But still, if you got to have one, well, I wish you good luck in your search,

Claude. ;)
Sorry Claude,but Richard Clark tested every plenum available. It was his findings that lead to the "resurgence" in their popularity. Forget the power plates, they only correct the factory style openings. The Hemco was designed totally different. The last 3 cars I saw make huge horsepower in Norwalk all had Hemcos. My new engine has a 72mm Hemco on it. I had it ported and when flowed by Dave Mills, flowed big time, and a more even direction. I should have sent the stocker for him to compare. Rob's Stage that made 1019rwhp runs a Hemco.

That's interesting that the plenum actually made more power. I've been kicking around the idea of casting a new upper for a little while now.

I just can't get a good mental image of a starting point. I know I can even out the ports access to air, but I haven't quite grasped how to do it while increasing plenum displacement at the same time.

Here's mine after porting. Dave Mills is a porting guru. The last picture is the sweep radius after it was smoothed out big time. He removed as much material as he felt safe and when he checked it, it picked up quite a bit from where he started.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1373935330.458591.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1373935350.285557.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1373935390.667924.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1373935423.567739.jpg

Damn, that's actually close to my mental image I came up with. Basically a 90 with a nice fat D-port.

So I take it Hemco went belly up?

That's what is going on my new little motor!!!

Yeah, those Hemco Plenums don't become available too often!

I was lucky enough to snag two of them a long time ago & they've just been put away in storage collecting dust.
They are both the stock plenum styles....one is for a 57mm (standard) size throttle body, while the other is a 62mm size.
Am gonna wait till the car is dialed in using the Power / logger & Wideband set up with the RJC air distribution plate presently installed. Then do a couple of runs & have em data logged......then pull the RJC plate & install the Hemco Plenums & do back to back runs / logs to see what
1) seat of the pants dyno says &
2) what the PL indicates.