Help with VIN & RPO on potential purchase please

SinCity-T

Hey all, a buddy and I went to look at a 1987 Grand National tonight here in Vegas and would like some help to determine if its a real GN or factory turbo car or a real good clone. A little history on the car that the seller informed us on was that it was a relatives car he recently recieved after they had passed. He said the family member had it since the 90's. Not that any of that matters but he was pretty adamant that the car was a GN.

The car is black with perfect interior, digital dash showing 28,XXX, and a sunroof. Outside needs a little help in the paint area and its missing the front airdamn.

ANY and all help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

Heres the info. VIN# 1G4GJ11A8HP425425 same # in window/dash and trunk sticker.
I dont know how to post links but here is the craigslist link to it http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3373670197.html
and a image of the trunk code i took with my phone
IMG_5134.jpg

and a couple pics of the car...
A5A8F737-EC04-41BA-8BB2-4AA9390DFEA2-2694-000003824A741C81.jpg
BC1C62B4-8877-4652-A4FE-48D3CE9EAD6D-2694-0000038256145906.jpg

I say its a real GN with the wrong trunk lid and service tag.Does that VIN on the trunk match the one in the left lower part of the windshield?
DDay

Yes I forgot to mention that I verified that the VIN in the window matches the vin on the left top corner of the trunk code sticker.

That is not a GN !!!
Not a factory turbo car even.
The VIN indicates a 3.8 2 barrel

Bryan

I say its a real GN with the wrong trunk lid and service tag.Does that VIN on the trunk match the one in the left lower part of the windshield?
DDay

OR a stolen re-VIN...
Wonder what the title says...

Bryan

Then phone guy is correct,not a GN ,but has lots of GN parts. Hopefully you got a good price on it as all you have there is a good pile of parts.
DDay

OR a stolen re-VIN...
Wonder what the title says...

Bryan

Ya I asked to see the title but the car was located at his shop and he said the title was at home. My buddy didn't purchase the car but I agree its worth something for having all those nice TR parts on it. Just not 8grand worth.

Thank you guys for your help
No problem.
Glad you asked before purchasing. Tell him you want a carfax run on the car...see what comes back. There are other places on the frame that have the VIN number stamped to see if it has been changed. I would also look closely at the VIN tag to see what the rivets look like. Vin will also be in the door jamb sticker

Bryan

No problem.
Glad you asked before purchasing. Tell him you want a carfax run on the car...see what comes back. There are other places on the frame that have the VIN number stamped to see if it has been changed. I would also look closely at the VIN tag to see what the rivets look like. Vin will also be in the door jamb sticker

Bryan

Good advice but i'm thinking not even worth the effort. Dude said a couple things that just triggered a little suspicion. My buddy called him earlier this week to see about viewing the car and he said he was in Dallas until tonight, then while we were there looking at it he mentioned he was at SEMA show here in vegas all week. Then also when I brought up that I did a carfax on my GN that I recently bought he then began to tell us that carfax's arent accurate and that most body shops dont have time to report to carfax and so on... Just seems like I might end up in jail if I were to purchase the car. NO THANKS lol

Good advice but i'm thinking not even worth the effort. Dude said a couple things that just triggered a little suspicion. My buddy called him earlier this week to see about viewing the car and he said he was in Dallas until tonight, then while we were there looking at it he mentioned he was at SEMA show here in vegas all week. Then also when I brought up that I did a carfax on my GN that I recently bought he then began to tell us that carfax's arent accurate and that most body shops dont have time to report to carfax and so on... Just seems like I might end up in jail if I were to purchase the car. NO THANKS lol

I would do it just to F with him...LOL
Maybe he needs a visit from the local PD...Take a State cop with you to check the VIN...LMAO

Bryan

Who is recently missing a GN? Maybe they'll find this one familiar!

D

No vin 7 !
No lc2 on the trunk lid / no cf5 code for sun roof / no we2 code for Gn

My guess it was revinned.

That plastic speaker cover is over the heads on the vin rivets.

Probably a stolen car is my guess or someone did a real lot of work

Thanks everyone. Have another request now, Looking at another car that is located out of town. It is a 1986 California re-vinned car due to a theft recovery. My question is how to check if this is a real GN or clone without having the trunk code label? Owner says it came off years ago and doesnt have it anymore. Here is a picture of the cali issiued re-vin.
IMG_5147.JPG

Without an RPO sticker, window sticker or build sheet there is no way for you to be sure. If you feel comfortable with the price vs condition vs possible resale value then buy it. If you are going to keep it for some time and are not worried weather it is a real GN then go for it, if not I would keep searching.

Bryan