Help with turbo location

BLACK MAGIC RACING

formerly turbo_canuck
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of an issue. I don't know where to put the turbo. I have twin turbo headers, and will need to fab up a crossover of some type. Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• 20150702_165444.jpg
    20150702_165444.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 240
I assume since you state "the turbo", you intend to use twin headers, and use a single turbo. Y/N??
Sell the twins, and buy a single system????

I assume since you state "the turbo", you intend to use twin headers, and use a single turbo. Y/N??
Sell the twins, and buy a single system????
Yes. I agree. You will lose efficiency adding in all the extra length and volume by fabricating plumbing to merge them together. Not that it matters much to most pure race car owners but it will probably look like crap too. Besides, those headers would best serve someone who intends to go twin turbo. And you may make a few bucks in the process.

Headers are too expensive and hard to come by sometimes especially for stage 2 heads. Keep the twin headers and keep the turbo on the passenger side for ease of downpipe mods and integration into a standard exhaust. Wont lose that much efficiency, a crossover pipe is a crossover pipe, front of the motor or back. Look at the design of every turbo charged car that didn't come with one from the factory like a GN. Your limit will become how large the frame of the turbo will be. Might have to modify the core support. I have a set of custom twin headers that I tried to sell many moons ago, but I decided to keep and use them. Alt. is mounted high and going to use a modified weaver 3 stage oil pump. I have a very old school PT80 from the old Tweaked days, made a ton of power back then ,should still do it now. BTW, who did your mods to your tunnel ram, I have one and need to get it right like yours. Thanks

Swap the headers to opposite side and bring together and into bottom of big turbo mounted between radiator and motor. Donnie did something like that.
Conrad

Thanks guys, got it figured out. Gonna mount it direct onto the passenger side flange, and fab up a merge and crossover from the ds. Comp. housing clears the hood by about 1.5"
rag231, I will try to find the name of the guy who modded the intake for injectors. Dan @dls redid the top part.

Honestly I think your headers are a better foundation for a good single turbo than most designed for a single turbo. If I had those I think I would cut the turbo flanges off and weld on some v band flanges and make the piping to join in the middle somewhere in the front of the motor. Advantage is have near equal length primary tubes and also ability to utilize divided housing or better yet a new investment cast steel housing with V band inlet. So many opportunities at your disposal to make a killer set of headers.
AG.

Freddy you should of asked me for pics of my Headers or seen how mine are and make the crossover just like I have. it is not hard to make, and we can have my buddy the Tig Master weld them up....

After waiting in line for a set of ATR stage 2 headers that never came up for sale and getting feedback from the Burrhead's being heavy and a few fitting issues. I had contacted a few NASCAR header builders on my area and they were in the 2500 and up range, I gave up and used my twin set up. I would like to remove them and get them recoated and newer style waste gate flanges installed. I think overall you will be happy with the look and performance.