help with knock!!!!!

blackbox

Hey guys having problems with the gn. I just changed the fuel pump to walbro 340 and added a hot wire kit, 60# mototron injectors, fuel filter and fuel pressure set to 43 line of, no change. I have the boost down to 10 now from 15 because of a 19.5 Knock retard awhile back. At 10 i still see a 4.5+ KR. Right now i can only see about 6 psi with no knock. Also when i get around 7 psi i start to hear rattling.

Mod list:

kenne bell intake plenum
60mm throttle body
60# mototron injectors
walbro intake fuel pump 340
hot wire kit
stock maf
k&n filter
atr headers
3 inch exhaust
stock downpipe elbow
shift kit
adjustable fuel pressure reg. set at 43 psi line off.
stock intercooler
3 inch maf piping
scanmaster
auto meter boost/vac gauge
oil pressure gauge
fuel pressure gauge
turbonetics cheetah turbo
turbo tweak chip burnt for 93 pump gas 15-17 psi.

i think thats about it if anyone needs anymore info tell me and i will get it to u. this is one of my 2 cars, my wife uses the other one so this is daily driver. Im getting to the point im thinking of selling. I know a years not long but with a wife and child and another car its a problem. i donlt make a whole lot in the air force and have dumped a couple thousand into this problem since i bought the car in january. If i don't get it fixed by march im deploying so it will be 2 years that ill have the car when i get back and never seen above 10 psi and be able to beat a civic.

if you are hearing a rattle you are probably getting false knock u need to find out if dp or anything around your headers is rattling check all your heat sheilds and find the rattle then see if it still knocks

if it is not faulse knock and the engine is indeed detonating you need to record some data and see why.

do you have direct scan?

check the exhaust first and see if anything is hitting..

Hey guys having problems with the gn. I just changed the fuel pump to walbro 340 and added a hot wire kit, 60# mototron injectors, fuel filter and fuel pressure set to 43 line of, no change. I have the boost down to 10 now from 15 because of a 19.5 Knock retard awhile back. At 10 i still see a 4.5+ KR. Right now i can only see about 6 psi with no knock. Also when i get around 7 psi i start to hear rattling.

Mod list:

kenne bell intake plenum
60mm throttle body
60# mototron injectors
walbro intake fuel pump 340
hot wire kit
stock maf
k&n filter
atr headers
3 inch exhaust
stock downpipe elbow
shift kit
adjustable fuel pressure reg. set at 43 psi line off.
stock intercooler
3 inch maf piping
scanmaster
auto meter boost/vac gauge
oil pressure gauge
fuel pressure gauge
turbonetics cheetah turbo
turbo tweak chip burnt for 93 pump gas 15-17 psi.

i think thats about it if anyone needs anymore info tell me and i will get it to u. this is one of my 2 cars, my wife uses the other one so this is daily driver. Im getting to the point im thinking of selling. I know a years not long but with a wife and child and another car its a problem. i donlt make a whole lot in the air force and have dumped a couple thousand into this problem since i bought the car in january. If i don't get it fixed by march im deploying so it will be 2 years that ill have the car when i get back and never seen above 10 psi and be able to beat a civic.

I feel ya brother....had my TTA for a year and a half and I still see detonation!!:mad: Don't think I'll buy another Turbo car!!

If you dont find anything that rattles then i would look at the balancer. The interrupter ring may have moved. The ecm may see less timing than there really is. Do a search on this. I know there is a few threads on it.

If you don't want the car anymore let me know:biggrin:

When you say rattling, are you sure it's ratting? How about a dieseling sound?

I had the same issue which was corrected with some alky. Alky is a must with these cars...

Also, it might be a good idea to swap the timimg chain. The stock chain streches and ends up causing the cylinders to heat up excessively, leading to knock. Also, you should probably think about changing the valve springs.

WHen I encountered my issue. I did the springs first and it helped but the problem was still there. Then I added alky and an alky chip from TT. It helped to fix the problem but I didn't want a bandaid. So I swapped the stock chain for a double roller.

Car pulls like mad and I run 24 lbs on the street with 91 octane and alky tuned for 0 KR!!

Good Luck.

Is your fuel pressure rising 1:1 for boost? What is your voltage at WOT? Good plugs and wires? Have you checked the coil packs? Any exhaust leaks? Good grounds?

Turbo39151, I need to hook up with you some day and learn your tricks with the alky, an tuning in general. My car has KR and always has... Can't even tune the alky due to KR on 91. I can't imagine being able to run 24lbs with no KR!!!

im not sure about the fuel pressure cause i only have a rail mounted fuel pressure gauge. Voltage is fine and plugs were changed last week and have new coil pack and msd wires. I pulled of the bottom of the downpipe and cat(two piece). And it got rid of some of the knock so some was false. I am able to hit 10-11 psi without any knock but after that i start get knock. So alittle better but not great yet. I don't have direct scan just scan master, though i do have a couple of friends with it.

Put straight race gas in it.

If ur still getting knock at the low boost levels, then U know for sure that U have a false knock issue. I had to take off my Gen 6 DFI and replace it with a Big stuff3 (with widebandO2) before I got rid of my knock. I hope U dont have to do what I did, but its sure nice to have the tuneability.

Scanmaster WOT readings should be like 750 or 800 & 0 KR. Where is yours?

I know this because mine is like 35 & .5 KR or sometimes 365 & 3.0 KR (somebody help me!!!!)

I've been considering the basics of more fuel pressure & less timing until the knock is gone, aside from figuring out why I have those weird WOT readings.

As mentioned, you need to capture some data to see what's going on, & at least temporarily mount your FP gauge at the windsheild to verify under boost.

Got a translator on it? You can remove timing that way.

Do those injectors require an ECM mod?

Jimmy

Yeah im going to buy a braided line to mount the FP gauge soon. My O2's are pretty low in the 700s to 750s. I have the stock Maf no translator and the 60 are the biggest you can go right now without ECM mod.

An obvious suggestion is to add a few pounds of fuel pressure. You could always get the chip maker to remove a few degrees of timing. But ultimately you need to capture some data to see what's going on.