Help with first GN purchase...please!

psicoupe

I am about to purchase a 1987 GN. I have two I am looking at (not set on these two, just what I have found worth purchasing on $17K budget) 1. all stock, all options 75,000 mi. excellent condition 2. lots of bolt ons, all motor and trans seals replaced, dyno proven hp, 35000 mi., excellent condition. Both cars check out with no problems on carfax. I know its my decision on stock v performance bolt on car... any more details I am missing? I do not know history of common problems to look for w GNs. ANY help/opinions would be very appreciated. Also open to any more cars for sale. Thanks, Bill

If you buy #1..Don't touch it,replace anything broken with origianl equipment an the price of re-sale will only go UP!!! if you buy #2 ..It's already cut up it sounds with aftermarket parts..the re-sale price will only go Down!!!

Good Luck!

I am about to purchase a 1987 GN. I have two I am looking at (not set on these two, just what I have found worth purchasing on $17K budget) 1. all stock, all options 75,000 mi. excellent condition 2. lots of bolt ons, all motor and trans seals replaced, dyno proven hp, 35000 mi., excellent condition. Both cars check out with no problems on carfax. I know its my decision on stock v performance bolt on car... any more details I am missing? I do not know history of common problems to look for w GNs. ANY help/opinions would be very appreciated. Also open to any more cars for sale. Thanks, Bill

Where are you located? Where are the cars from? Any rust? t-tops? Sunroof? These all take a big part in buying a gn. Rust is a huge problem with these cars and they rust where you cant see it. post pics of cars. Any car you look at make sure you take it to a shop and have it lifted up and inspected.

17K should get you a real nice GN. I'd go for an un-molested lower mileage one. Phil.

I am in tx, one car is in nevada and other is in arizona. Not good w computers... the one in arizona is on autotrader $20K, and the other is on ebay "collector condition". If you wish to check out I would be very greatful!!!

Have you looked at the For Sale section of this forum?

Lot of nice cars for sale.

~JM~

What are your plans for the car? Weekend cruiser, daily driver, show car, investment? Do you plan to do any mods to it or are you happy with stock hp?

What are your plans for the car? Weekend cruiser, daily driver, show car, investment? Do you plan to do any mods to it or are you happy with stock hp?

X2! If you plan to modify the car, you should try to find one with some of the mods already done. It's expensive to buy parts for these cars. Usually $500 to $1k at each step for just the basic stuff.

~JM~

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...toTrader.com&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13319416255572

I saw this car! Drove to Lufkin the weekend after thanksgiving to go see it. Apparently it's still for sale. It is a female driven 1 owner car but really really needs a total restoration and they are asking $15k !! It has a rebuilt engine that feels weak and ticks. Actual mileage on the car was around 170k miles. Door panels were recovered with some type of burlap looking material (it looks really bad), dash pad has a nice split on the passenger side, you can't tell in the photos. It could be a good car for the right price but it needs alot of work! It was a very disappointing trip for me. Ended up buying a car in Conroe, TX just north of Houston a few weeks later.

X2 on the cars here on the board. I'd buy from a board member way before I'd buy from a random private party. That how I got this gem :cool:

Just my $0.02.

It always amazes me the price difference bewteen t types and gn's. I picked up my 85 t type with 28k for less than half of 17k.

For 17k the car better be in near showroom condition. You shouldnt need to restore a 17k car. 10k to 13k should need a little but not much. Anything less should require more in depth restoration.

I agree with the above post that you should figure out what your plans are on the car you are going to buy. If you don't plan on driving it then get a stock unmolested car and put it in the garage. If you plan on driving it as a toy and you want it to go faster then get one that is already got some mods on it.

There's an '87 Turbo T on craigslist in Houston. Says it's all stock original, 65k miles for $11k. Has sort of a copper colored paint with black trim and gray leather.

I saw this car! Drove to Lufkin the weekend after thanksgiving to go see it. Apparently it's still for sale. It is a female driven 1 owner car but really really needs a total restoration and they are asking $15k !! It has a rebuilt engine that feels weak and ticks. Actual mileage on the car was around 170k miles. Door panels were recovered with some type of burlap looking material (it looks really bad), dash pad has a nice split on the passenger side, you can't tell in the photos. It could be a good car for the right price but it needs alot of work! It was a very disappointing trip for me. Ended up buying a car in Conroe, TX just north of Houston a few weeks later.

Why do people advertise it as a low milage when it clearly isn't? You can tell what's been replaced on it in the pictures, and a new tranny for a car with only 15k on it?