Help with chris's shift kit!!

Warrant

Ok so Im just putting a whole new valve body to elminate a bunch of my problems.

Its from chris, with his shift kit already installed.

I had ordered his 3rd gear correction kit before and put in my other valve body, I was told to put this spring on the "other side" of the 3-2 control valve. so thats where i put it on my other one. But on this new valve body it doesnt have it...? I thought it was now included in his shift kit. Was that the right spot for it? (the red circle is where I put the spring, and this valve body doesnt have it) Chris is seems to be a honest guy so far so I trust he put what needed to be in there. Should I add the small 3rd gear correction spring in the new one?

3rd.jpg

also i bought a HP 3/4 accumulator spring from him awhile ago, butthis time he sent a different white one. The two are shown below, which should i use? One is tightly wound, the other white and less "coils"

34springs.jpg

Honestly his stuff/kits/this fix/that correction changes so often. He'd be the one to help you.

Id put the 3rd correction kit in the new vb the way you described. Just pull it out of the old vb. Tight wound for NL applications

Honestly his stuff/kits/this fix/that correction changes so often. He'd be the one to help you.

agreed, and ofcourse i didnt get any shift kit instructions other than where to put check balls, (maybe cause its already installed) or any 3rd gear correction test results/valuble test data. he seems to forget that stuff alot.

Id put the 3rd correction kit in the new vb the way you described. Just pull it out of the old vb. Tight wound for NL applications

NL = nonlock up?

I am keeping lockup converter, so use the white one?

agreed, and ofcourse i didnt get any shift kit instructions other than where to put check balls, (maybe cause its already installed) or any 3rd gear correction test results/valuble test data. he seems to forget that stuff alot.

NL = nonlock up?

I am keeping lockup converter, so use the white one?

yes

Thanks Bison,

Guess Ill do that 3rd correction, but I guess I should mention that I also got a new separator plate as well. This one looks quite a bit different from my last "new" plate that he gave me, The newest one is black and much nicer. Could new revised holes on this new one have anything to do with not using the 3rd gear cor. spring. Any problems that could develop from using this spring. (such as being stuck in 1st gear / bind on 2-3 shift) because this is what my last valve body is doing.

I think Brian has you lined out, the kit shouldn't cause any bind in 3rd concerns. Chris, myself, bison (Brian) and others have been using it for a couple of years now and it works well.

If Chris sent you a complete VB already assembled, you shouldn't need anything but checkball instructions. I've never gotten test data for any shift kit I've ever bought. The test data on the CK kit has been posted here, some of us were testing it as Chris has developed it over the years.

Oxide coating the sep plate or anodizing it doesn't change it, put the plates next to each other and compare holes, if it's all the same, it's functionally the same.

I'm familiar with the kit as is bison, since Chris is out of town, if you need any tech support, call me anytime I can walk you through it.

940-453-2582

By the way,
while you are in there, check the band clearance and low clutch clearance. Air check both as well.

I gottcha.

Thanks guys, going out right now to drain her and remove the body.

..Im still alittle concerned as to why the 3rd gear spring isnt in there. Maybe he knows I already had it, although i let him know i had the seperator plate yet he sent another, haha i dont know.

Jake ,sent a email to ya about the trans problems I have a few days ago. Im sure your a busy guy, maybe email isnt the best way, but just was wondering if you got it. Made a post here as well - same thing. talked to chris several times too and even he didnt know what was going on, i have something real fishy happening. oh well tho, im going for a whole new valve body lol. atleast ill know if its that or somthing behind the pump

one more thing,

should I remove the 2-1 coastdown plug in the valve body?

chris's book says to, but his new valve body still has it installed.

It looks like it may have been drilled bigger, but cant say for sure, i dont have my old plug to compare

Thanks

one more thing,

should I remove the 2-1 coastdown plug in the valve body?

chris's book says to, but his new valve body still has it installed.

It looks like it may have been drilled bigger, but cant say for sure, i dont have my old plug to compare

Thanks

call me 2036402126

I didnt remove it the plug.

But Installed the new valve body,

pretty much didnt do a damn thing.

still stuck in 1st, binds 1-2 shift.

#$*!^@# :mad:

wondering how much it would cost to put this thing on a pallet ship it off, have someone fix and test, and ship it back :eek: :confused: cause i really dont feel like tearing it back apart n trying to figure it out, i really dont have a clue now, everything seemed to air check just fine and i was SOOOO carefull...

uugggghhhhh!!

Jake ,Bison Thanks for helping out.Im home ,Thank God.Trip was great but ...Warrant, give me a ring and we can try to possibly figure out a reasonable way to get the trans here for a repair.Iwill do the best I can for you as you have taken a beaten already.I understand your frustration and will try to help you have a car that puts a smile on your face again.

Thanks Chris, Glad to hear your home safe and had a good time.

But before I pull it out, I want to be sure that it needs to.

I did another test, maybe it could shed some light on the problem.

I put the rear up on stands and tried to run it through the gears, well with moderate throttle it would rev up, then do the weird downshift bind thing,slow down, then it would pop back into first rev up, bind, first, bind, repeat non stop no matter the throttle position.

Also Every other time it tried to shift, there would be a small blip(drop) on the gauge??

Anymore ideas as to what the problem might be?

Could it be something with the blocked 1-2 accum? maybe it being blocked wont work with your separator plate/valve body??

It's difficult to diagnose trans problems online sometimes, but I will say this.
If you have changed the VB to a completely different VB, and you are still having serious bind up issues, odd issues, you have a bigger problem and it's almost certainly internal.
Which means the trans needs to come out and back apart.
Yes it can be a PITA, it sucks to do rework, but sometimes you just have to accept that the only way to fix it is to get it all the way apart.

You have a crossleak somewhere. It's obviously not the VB, so there's a good chance it's in the center support (OD clutches coming on in 1,2,or 3 range will lock it down), low clutches coming on will lock it down in any gear above low.

Something is either misassembled or you have an odd issue, like the sleeve in the center support spun, I've seen this happen on the 200-4Rs and it could be a mess....

yea, thats what I figured, just wanted to be sure sure =/

Oh well thats the way it goes haha.

ugh just dont really have the time to mess with it now!

Ill figure something out.