Help with AOD-E

n20junkie

Sponser needed
i have a 2002 f-150, put a transgo shift kit in it for towing, it works great except that the od feels different when it kicks it, it almost feels like it slows the truck down for a sec before it goes in, and when i drained the catch pan this was in it, any clue whre this thing goes, cause i don't remember ever seeing it come out of the trans on teardown, thanks a ton.
Grant
transpart

It's a shipping plug

That's a shipping plug that comes with the trans when it enters the assembly plant. They just push it thru when they put the dipstick in. It just lays there untill you drain the pan for the 1st time. You can just throw it away.

Did you use Detron 5 or Dextron 3 fluid during the kit installation?

The o/d feel

will get better as you drive it. I've put a few of those kits in and after a while the o/d is almost un- noticable.

thanks, i was thinking with the new valves and stuff that it would need some time to work in and get smooth, but man is it nice, i put a B&M kit in my e40d when i rebuilt it a few years ago, and i think that transgo kits are way better, and for the people that don't to this stuff often its nice to have a video.
Grant

the kit had a restrictor that went in one of the soleniods, does anyone know if that solenoid has anythign to do with the 3-4 shift, thanks again.
Grant

well from what i know from my past transmissions something wasn't right, so today i pulled it bac apart and checked my work, ends up that the kit has 2 sets of seperator plate gaskets, the one i checked needed the green strip gasket from the kit, so i ASSUMED, we know how that goes, that the other side would use the green stripe, noticed 3 blocked holes, 2 had bulges from pressure and the 3rd wa blown threw from fluid pressure, so its all back together with the right gasket, it feels better, not what i would call a great 3-4 shift, there is something wierd about it, but its alot quicker than it was yesterday, i will give it a week and see how it feels.
Grant
ps "assume nothing" in cars, we all know this, but it takes a refrsher once in a while to reinforce that statement

there are 3 different o/d servos used in the aode's as well as third clutch exhaust orifice sizing which greatly affect 3/4 timing.trans go did not address this althogh they adressed other items of concern which are in my opinion marginal.but then again what do i know about aodes?i only built over 1500 of them in the taxi cab period of my carreer in midtown manhattan.3 a day from start to finish at 175 a piece for ny auto on 37th st and 11th avenue .i made a killing work 3/4 days a week ,go in any time as they were open 24 hrs.then came the baby.

ahhhh. so is more valvebody mods required or can just seperator plate holes make a difference.
Grant

THE VALVE BODY IS UNIVERSAL TO SOME EXTENT.the exhaust rate of clutches on backshifts are controlled via orifices in the seperator plate where circuits empty back into the pan when uncharged .the key to 1/2 2/3 and 3/4 shift quality is in the 1/2 and 2/3 accumulator circuits/pistons and clutch .o/d servo selection imo.we jack up the epc 1 turn and use a certain chrysler 727 spring for the pr circuit.shift quality is easy to obtain in an aod or aode.the issue IS DURABILITY.

ahhhhh that dam reliability, the 1-2 and 2-3 shift quality is nice, much better than i got from the same ammount of work on an E40D that i had in my last truck, but i assume this one will ****, and i wil rebuild it, or send it you you chris, thanks for the info, time will tell if this thing will last, the truck has a 100 shot of nitrous, between that and towing is why i did the trans work, so its definatly getting stressed, along with the rear end, which i am not so sure will last with these wheel spining shifts, i think traction bars might make the tires spin easier.
Grant

the stub shaft is kmown to split at any time even in sock applications.we make it from e4340.

oh no #%$^, how much do you sell the shaft for, i am not going to drive this truck in the winter, so i could put it in then, along with any other parts i break.