Help with 75 Lincoln

PsychoBuickBoy

The Money Pit
Hello all,
I am writing this here because I don't know of any other message boards that could help and i know there is a great deal of knowledge here:) . I have a 75 Lincoln Continental with a 460 in it. I bought it in Colorado and drove it down here to Phoenix. i am now fighting the emissions demons in this state. Anyway, I just changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor and PCV valve. The car runs great but on the rich side. It also on occasion will start to surge when I stop at a stop light. What causes this surging?? What should I be looking for? I just put Cats on the car because of the emissions guys failed me for not having them. I can smell the cats already as the car is running so rich, it got alot better after the tune up but the surging is still there on occassion. Anybody have any idea's?

one thing I thought of was the car was in Colorado Springs were it is almost a mile high. I wonder if the car has the 'high altitude' carb on it. I notice there are 2 part numbers for the carb (1 normal and 1 for high altitude). Would that make a difference here?

see if the accelerator cable is kinked. If it is the original one it may have a kink that is causing the surge. Prob not the prob. Buy i had that happen to me on a different car and that was the prob.

Mike

I would look into the high altitude thing, I am not sure what "high altitude" is, I guess 5300 is high. I am not sure about your capabilities but *I* would find a "old school" tuner, a guy who knows carbs and the like and have him (or her) have a look. But check the obvious stuff first

Does it run rich as in you can see black smoke? Or is the inspection sniffer machine telling you something (if one exsists) sometimes changing the oil will help with HC, also injecting air with an air compressor will lower some of the numbers, that is if you know someone that is willing to do that cause it is "ill-legal"

Try advancing the timing and install hotter heat range plugs. Clean the carbeurator. Run some top engine cleaner through it or at least a gallon of water through the carb. Beat it up before you go to emission inspection. ;)

Thanks all for your replies. It does not blow black smoke but it eats spark plugs pretty quick and the mileage sucks (well it is a 460). It is actually driving real nice now, I am going to go through the carb as it probably couldn't hurt. It also doesn't start too easy, I am pretty sure it is all carb related. I still have to wonder what the 'high altitude' carb is all about. I will look for a part number and see if it indeed that type.