HELP! Somethings not right!!

Lt. Doomsday

Honda Hater #1
Ok this grand national im considering on buying is sitting at some old lads house, i got a question about the Tranny/Shift linkage, ok anyway i saw the Shift knob was broke off, and laying on the floor, and i grabed the shift lever and it moves freely from Park to D1? or w/e the last position is. Ok this is with the car OFF and without the Key in the ignition.

What is wrong with this? Can anyone tell me?

Is this a SERIOUS Problem? I can tell by looking at it, that the car has seen extensive abuse, i.e. a full coating of tire tread under the rear fenders, and bald tires lol

could be its not connected to trans (there is tranny under car right?)
or trans lockout linkage is disconnected

you should have been able to feel the gear detents

If the cable isn't connected to the tranny then it will move freely from front to back.You said the shift knob is broke off but is there a white little plastic rod sticking out of the shift lever??

When you press the button on the shift knob to switch gears it pushes the white plastic pc down to release the shift lever from the gates.It's spring loaded at the bottom and sometimes it gets rusted and sticks open....

Originally posted by 84GNPILE
You said the shift knob is broke off but is there a white little plastic rod sticking out of the shift lever??

yes yes thats exactaly right! so you think it just stuck? or probaly shift cable fell off? and yes there is an Engine and Transmission!! So that sound like its not that big of a problem, just a new shift kit, should do it? wow i was really thinking something was very wrong, thanks guys!! This board is the best!! and all the people on here are cool too!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Turbobuick.com rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Cody