Help setting cam sensor

i have read the tut's on gnttype and im still a little mixed up on the position of the crank etc...could someone explain in normal shop talk... step by step.....thanks...

oh yea and the oil cooler lines...which side hose goes to highest spot on radiator . is it left to top and right to bottom ?

The line with the slight bend goes on the bottom of the cooler, as far as setting sensor, I used a casper sensor tool and the instructions on it made it simple.

Just in case your trans cooler lines are a little bent up, and your still confused.

The upper transmission case fitting goes to the upper (top) radiator port, and the lower transmission case fitting goes to the lower (bottom) radiator port.

On the lines, I just did a test fit on each and put them where they fit best. I had no idea which went where, but they look good where they are now.

I did some research a couple of years ago and found directions to set it without a special tool of any kind.

There are three notches/marks. one on the block one on the outside lip of the sensor and one on the inside of the sensor i believe. The notches are there!

If i'm not mistaken i brought the number one piston to top dead center then lined up the notches bloted everything up and it fired right up perfect.

NO SPECIAL TOOLS WERE USED!

Its the oil cooler lines im wondering about. not the trans lines. when facing the front of the motor there is a line on the left side of the cooler and a line on the right side...i need to know which one goes to highest place on the radiator and which goes to the lower spot. (oil cooler where the oil filter goes) i think i have it figured out. right to top and left to bottom.

I did some research a couple of years ago and found directions to set it without a special tool of any kind.

There are three notches/marks. one on the block one on the outside lip of the sensor and one on the inside of the sensor i believe. The notches are there!

If i'm not mistaken i brought the number one piston to top dead center then lined up the notches bloted everything up and it fired right up perfect.

NO SPECIAL TOOLS WERE USED!

happen to remember exactly where to find these instructions ?

oil cooler lines: drivers side goes to top and passenger side goes to bottom.
now did you read my post to clock the sensor with a volt meter? ....what was never mentioned in the info i found was that when clocking it back to zero volts, the zero volt reading on the mulimeter will only be there for a split second....do it a couple of times and the torque down the hold nut.
plug in the censor and splice into the middle wire (blue i think) for the volt meter.

Well thanks to Evil......The Buick Lives !!!!!

gave him a call and he explained how to set the cam sensor WITH NO CAM TOOL OR VOLT METER....JUST WRENCHES, EYES AND YOUR BRAIN......AND CAR FIRED RIGHT UP.....
thanks evil, much appreciated.

its midnight right now and i'm off to bed, but in the next few days i will post exactly how i did it incase anyone else needs the info.

ok here goes...

pull #1 plug and be sure your your on the compression stroke.
Remove all plug wires from pack. then i pulled the cap off of the cam sensor to find the notch (i marked it as 2 in pics) then noticed that i also had a dark dot where i marked a 3 in pics.
Now the number 4 spot (the tab inside the "cup") should be inline with the dot marked 1 in pics.
Now look at the hole in timing cover where cam sensor goes. just to the left of the retainer bolt hole for the sensor is a ridge that runs downward (we will call this spot #5) hold the sensor in position were ALL numbers are inline and notice the position of the oil pump fitting on the bottom of sensor.
Be sure the pump itself is running at the same position (turn it with a screwdriver)
Then i dropped the sensor in one notch counter clockwise back so when in turns as it drops it will be inline and ALL numbers in line with each other 1,2,4 and 5.
Some of you may have number 3 some may not but its the same as 1 and 3 as i stated before. you could also make sharpie marks to help keep everything lined up.
Once the sensor is in with all numbers in line tighten it down, put the cap back on and and the motor should fire right up as mine did. on my sensor stand in front of the motor the wires coming out of the sensor cap are in the 4 o'clock position maybe a more towards 5 but in that general area...

As stated in earlier post this is what Evil told me to do and it worked for me.
so as far as im concerned credit goes to him :smile:

Attachments

• camsensordot 1.jpg
    camsensordot 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,211
  • camsensordrivecap 2_3.jpg
    camsensordrivecap 2_3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,229
  • camsensortopview 4.jpg
    camsensortopview 4.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,213
well one thing evil said made sense to me....when these cars were being built they didnt have someone with a volt meter setting each one as they went down the line...there had to be a way to set it quickly....and this was it i believe....

Thank you sir. I'm glad your car is running. Just trying to help out. Remember, 25 degrees! LOL

D

ok here goes...

pull #1 plug and be sure your your on the compression stroke.
Remove all plug wires from pack. then i pulled the cap off of the cam sensor to find the notch (i marked it as 2 in pics) then noticed that i also had a dark dot where i marked a 3 in pics.
Now the number 4 spot (the tab inside the "cup") should be inline with the dot marked 1 in pics.
Now look at the hole in timing cover where cam sensor goes. just to the left of the retainer bolt hole for the sensor is a ridge that runs downward (we will call this spot #5) hold the sensor in position were ALL numbers are inline and notice the position of the oil pump fitting on the bottom of sensor.
Be sure the pump itself is running at the same position (turn it with a screwdriver)
Then i dropped the sensor in one notch counter clockwise back so when in turns as it drops it will be inline and ALL numbers in line with each other 1,2,4 and 5.
Some of you may have number 3 some may not but its the same as 1 and 3 as i stated before. you could also make sharpie marks to help keep everything lined up.
Once the sensor is in with all numbers in line tighten it down, put the cap back on and and the motor should fire right up as mine did. on my sensor stand in front of the motor the wires coming out of the sensor cap are in the 4 o'clock position maybe a more towards 5 but in that general area...

As stated in earlier post this is what Evil told me to do and it worked for me.
so as far as im concerned credit goes to him :smile:

I agree... to a certain point. I believe that these would be set when the engine is assembled and then the engine is carted off to the part of the assembly line where they are lifted and set into place. The assembly line worker would just plug in the harness and make sure the harness is secured. Almost like when power seats are installed. The wiring is on the seat and the assembly line worker just plugs into the pigtail coming out from carpet.

well one thing evil said made sense to me....when these cars were being built they didnt have someone with a volt meter setting each one as they went down the line...there had to be a way to set it quickly....and this was it i believe....

Great. glad to have passed on the knowledge and helped. i still got the cam tool afterwards to be able to adjust it correctly after it was inserted. but thanks to Evil for the info on the line up details........