Help my 85 GN still won't start?

nhrabill

Full of Hot Air
Hi all I posted up here a week ago about my 85 National that still won't start in hopes you might point me in the correct direction.

Problem
I have spark and fuel pressure but car will not start. I shot a little starting ether into the throttlebody car kinda starts spits and sputters then dies I hear the fuel pump rebuild pressure.

I do not know how to check to see if injectors are working?

I checked all fuses under dash all appear good is there another place? and wich fuse is for injectors? car is a stock 85 with 67K miles.

I just added another couple gallons of gas and injector cleaner in it to try and help it out.

Could this be a cam sensor I hear so much about and if so where is cam sensor located and look like? I am broke and being forced to sell car so I need to get this girl moving any information or suggestion you may have will be greatly appreciated.

no i do not have diagnostic tools to read codes

Thanks again
Bill
NHRABill@Yahoo.com

If it spits and sputters when you spray starting fluid, the cam sensor has to be working in order for it to have spark.

I believe there are two fuses that can shut the injectors down but don't remember off the top of my head besides the FP/INJ fuse.

To test, unplug an injector. With the ignition on, one terminal on the harness should have 12V+. If not, I would recheck the fuses. The computer grounds the other terminal to fire them. You can use a test light or a small light bulb like a dashboard light in the socket, have someone crank it over and see if the light flashes. If not, it could be a lot of things.

Thanks for the info I looked up the fuse under the driver side dash looks good and will check to see if it has spark tomorrow I need someone to crank it over for me.
Sucks living in a new area no more good neighbors nosey to help out. Ohh well the wife will have to do. I will post to let you all know how it goes.

Since I owned the car it always seemed to be lacking power top end like not enough fuel must be a combination of clogged injectors and electrical. I see a few guys are selling stock injectors for around $100 I better count my pennys. Do you know how many #'s stock injectors are 24? 34? :)

I want to make sure I get the correct size is there a difference between 84,85 86-87 injectors? I don't want to change my chip I need to sell car not sink amore cash into it.

1 last thing umm err I never removed an injector before I know the electrical for them but physically is there any trick? or just unscrew them.. Well I will have to find some sort of diagram for this one ..

Thanks again for help
Bill

IT lives!!!!!!!

I found the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how or why this stuff happens to me!! I went out to the parts stor bought a el cheapo scanner for $30 and a test light I tkled the problem again injectors are getting juice service engine light would not come on so I was pissed.

I was to the point of frustration when I yanked the chip from the computer and tried to start the service engine light flashed this time ???? I replaced chip and pushed computer out of way and car started Yeeeehaah!!! but that was not the problem after 10 minutes of running I was confidewnt for once down the block

It stalled and wouldn't start no service engine light?? I was about to lose it stranded 2 blocks from home when I started to take a close look at the computer trried the same as I did to get it to go and nothing.. I was so mad I wanted to tear the computer out and kick it so I started to take computer out of car when!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is right there was corrosion in pins #11 12 13 14 15 16 Heck Pin#16 on the top was so coordced it came off :eek:
I quickly waled home and started looking for the computer that was in car when I bought it (Ireplaced the original because the previous owner for some reason took the casing off of it.

I went back to car plugged the original naked computer back in and voila it started !!!!!! Came home and here I am typing to you
all.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help I could not have diagnosed the problem if it wasn't for everyones encouragement and ideas So a big THANK YOU to all.

Bill Manning
NHRABill@Yahoo.com
www.ServiceGeek.com