Help me tune my TTA..I have no clue what I'm doing

rlamas

Hi I own a 89 TTA car runs fine its my daily driver the car is basically completely stock other then the TT chip I have no scan master or any gauges to monitor the engine..I wish there was a tunning for dummies book that I could read becouse I have no clue how or what to do when it comes to fuel mixture and reading a scan tool , what is the purpose of the scan master and how does that help me adjust my chip and how do I adjust a chip?

Also what are the must parts that I needed to get for proper tunning? gauges, scan tool, fuel pump, ect?

I'm also looking into upgrading my valve train maybe mild Cam 100 lbs springs being that this is my daily driver nothing to crazy is there a package I could buy these parts together and from who? or is just replacing the springs good enough? My goal I'm trying to reach is mid to low 12s maybe Hi 11s

I JUST WANNA MAKE THIS CAR A BAD ASS SLEEPER!

IMO
Things you need to get going,
1. Scanmaster ,,will let you monintor your motor and let you see what chip adjustments you make.
2. New fuel pump and hotwire it
3. I would leave the stock cam in and for sure change your old valve springs out.
4. Make your wastegate adjustable

I think adding a wideband 02 for tunning is great idea also, If you plan on running 93 pump gas you will be able to turn the power up some but when you are ready to hit your goals you will have to have a good tune and either a alky system or mix in some race gas

What's the difference between an adjustable wastegate and a rcj boost control? What kinda body would be safe to run until I get an alky kit? I know this sounds like some basic stuff for others but I'm still trying to learn as Mutch info...who do you recommend that I get the valve springs from?

I'd go valve springs and check the timing chain (do they have the plastic teeth like the GN's?) then the basics. Fuel pump and hotwire it with a relay. Instead of a scanmaster, add a powerlogger, alky and since you have to buy a chip anyways, get the TT6 chip so you can use the maf for cruising and at WOT it locks on to a new wideband- Aem works for me and you can get most all of what you need from TurboTweak store. Super easy to install and once its done, you can adjust boost for racing (manual RJC valve is cheapest way to increase boost) without having to worry too much about fuel because it auto corrects to add up to 33% fueling. Drag radials, either M&H or M/T will get you a lower ET by launching harder.

So there would be no need for a scan master if I get the powerlogger?

I have both, the scanmaster is just like some extra gauges. All the good stuff is in the powerlogger, plus you can edit the chip changes directly from your laptop with the powerlogger instead of the painstaking scanmaster and gas pedal technique. Right, no need for a scanmaster if you have the powerlogger and leave a laptop in the car hooked up.

NICE! with the parts and minor upgrade listed above and some fine tunning with the powerlogger do you think I'll notcie a diffrence with just doing some adjustments (fuel and timming) with the chip i currently have from Turbo Teak? i do plan on adding a larger turbo and alky kit but for right now im just staying within my budget..

Where do you live? Maybe someone can stop by and help you.

Sorry about double post. Delete one if needed.

There's a good base of guys in the Dallas area. Might want to go down the main page and say hi in the Texas section and I'm sure one of the guys will jump in.:) I'm south of you in Hillsboro so it would be a bit of a drive to say the least.

Thank you sir I'll make sure to post something on there..is there a set of valve springs that are highly recommend out there?

what kinda gains will i see if i just install a combo kit from turbo tweak (42lbs injectors with mathcing chip)? or is will this parts just be a foundation for more parts in the future?

Don't get 42 lb injectors.... go with the 60's and an alky chip and Razor's alky kit.... and the FP/hotwire and PL and wideband..... you might get it into the 11's without a turbo change..... but you will need some seat time and some tuning.

I wouln't go over 14-15 psi boost for now until you get the alky.... the car should run some 13's just like it sits. You might want to baseline the car if it is running good before you mod anything to make sure everything is up to par.

The stock tranny will not take many 11 sec passes before it will need going through..... so start saving......

I'm not sure how similar the install height is on the TTA's but the GN's run some Comp 980's as stock replacements that are only a tad bit stronger.