Help me pick out a paint scheme!!!

TRYMY231S

GTP Tranny Killer
Hi everybody! I've finally got my Buick to the point where it can be painted - the only problem is I don't know what to do with it. :eek: The only thing I'm sure of is color.

Blue. It came from the factory that way and that's what I want. How many blue T's do you see around? Right now it has a vinyl roof with chrome trim, bumpers, and grill. I also have fiberglass bumpers to replace the chrome ones, new bumper fillers, and a VFN fiberglass bubble hood. Although I love t-tops, my car didn't come with them. That might be good for racing though...

Here's where I need you guys' input. How should I do this car?

1. Stock. Chrome the fiberglass bumpers (I've heard this can be done), replace the top, and keep the chrome cladding.
2. All blue. No vinyl. Chrome cladding, grill, and bumpers.
3. All blue. Vinyl. No Chrome cladding, other than that all chrome.
4. All blue. Black-out trim with black bumpers and black grill.
5. Same as 4 but with vinyl top.
6. Same as 4 but blue bumpers.

EDIT: By "cladding" I mean the chrome on the sides of the car.

Any other suggestions? I also kicked around the idea of a two tone paint scheme, but I don't know about the trim.

I'm leaning towards stock as long as the bumpers aren't too much to chrome. Anyone have an idea about cost or where to get them done? I'm in Chicago but could deliver within a fairly reasonable distance.

Oh yeah, this'll be a drag car, not some trailer queen. :biggrin:

Thanks for the input!
Nick

I say #6...maybe with chrome bumpers instead.

There's a blue T around here that has the black out trim, but I don't remember if had chrome bumpers or blue ones. It also had GNX fender flares and GNX style wheels, probably lowered a bit. Windows were medium tint, not too dark. It looked SOOO tuff!

I agree with Jolly.... Chrome bumpers and keep the blackout trim. The old-style midnight-blue flake metallic looks nice on a bigger car like our Buicks. Maybe some air-brushing of skulls and headstones that read, "Moostang, R.I.Pieces" ;)

Go with #2. Loose the top. Do a Google on chroming plastic. A place that restores chrome instrument clusters maybe? Can I add the GNX type wheels or maybe a TTII but with silver spokes not chrome.

For rims I'm doing Alumastars or the new MT rims with slicks and skinnies. Thanks for the suggestion Robert.

Nick

#3, except keep the chrome cladding. If I get another turbo car, I want the dark metallic blue with chrome trim and 1/4 vinyl roof. I love the way the car looks like grandma's ride, but spanks a$$. I know a guy here in MS that has an 87 turbo Limited like yours with blue leather (sweet). I had the chance 2 years ago to buy a white 87 turbo Limited that was sweet. Wished I had bought it.

#6 - no chrome at all. I was at the local Buick GS club show & shine Sunday and a Blue GN (yes a GN not a "T") took 2nd in the 1978 and newer class.

#6 AND black out windows..that would look awesome have always wanted to do blue or grey mettalic

all blue bumpers too w/ blackout trim. loose the chrome rocker molding and top. i would suggest lapiz blue from a 2002 porsche. trust me it is the baddest looking blue. im going 2 tone with that blue. at lease check it out

Take it back to stock if you're going to keep it blue. It will shock the crap out of people. Otherwise consider my favorite...BLACK!!!!! :biggrin:

turbo39151 said:
Take it back to stock if you're going to keep it blue. It will shock the crap out of people. Otherwise consider my favorite...BLACK!!!!! :biggrin:

I love black but I'm too lazy to keep it as clean as I would want it. My baby (the GTP) was black and I just couldn't keep it as clean as it deserved to be. I like the blue 'cause you don't see that many of them and it always looks good.

I think I've decided on blue with no chrome cladding and body colored bumpers. I'm not sure on the roof and chrome trim.

Nick