Help me cope with this pain!

I opened this yesterday and have thought about you and your wife for the last 24 hrs. A co worker and friend of mine had lost his 16 year old son to a brain hemorrhage months ago. I would like to remind you that you are not alone. There are many people out there that have lost children. Most in very bad circumstances. It is not the way it is supposed to be but God does allow it to happen. His ways are higher than our ways (Isaiah 55:8-9) and a lot of times we don't understand them or Him. This is where faith has to come in. You should really try to find a grief group as suggested or a group of people that have lost children. You must remember that it is a spiritual battle more than a physical one. Our adversary wants us to think that we have no future. That we are alone, and isolated and God is mad at us. When we are isolated we lose sense of reality and can spiral down quickly (Proverbs 18:1).

Blaming yourself for what happened is very common as my friend blamed himself for his son's death even though he had nothing to do with it or no control over it. You have to realize that there are only 2 possible people that could pay for sin; Jesus or the sinner. Children DO NOT pay for their father's sin. Ezekiel 18:20-A son won’t suffer punishment for the father’s iniquity, and a father won’t suffer punishment for the son’s iniquity. The righteousness of the righteous person will be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked person will be on him. Your statement that you are not perfect and have not lived the most noble life is true but that doesn't mean you had anything to do with his death. If you really think about it Jesus had no sin. No imputed sin or committed a sin. He was brutally killed. He was also hated by many. Who's sin was He paying for then? See it doesn't work out that way Biblically. Jesus was perfect and did live the most noble life, and was still murdered. Do other people suffer consequences for sin? Absolutely. But you must remember that if you are committed to Christ that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Roman 8:1). He paid all of your sin debt. And your son's. That is why the last word He said on the cross was It is finished (John 19:30). The Greek comes from tetelstai which is an accounting term meaning paid in full. Our sin debt was paid in full by His death. We are truly free now. That is what Jesus meant in John 8:32. I prayed for you last night when I read this post and will continue to.

And one last thing I would like to encourage you with is that God knows what it feels like to lose a son also. He knows how you feel and your pain. Go to Him and ask Him for rest (Matt 11:28-30).

I'm so sorry for your loss.My condolences to you and your family.I'm glad you got to spend time with him,hold him and baptize him.Heaven has an angel now and his name is Joseph Alexander.I don't know why stuff like this happens to good people.I wish and pray for the best for you and your wife.God bless.

My wife and I are thinking of you and your wife today. I think all of us on here are..... :(

Thank you all very very much for all of your kind words and prayers. This past week has been the hardest week of my life. I have been having anxiety attacks at night and continue to break down from time to time. I am so lucky to have such a loving family that 5 of them jumped in a car and drove 10 hours to visit my wife and I in Charleston Sc from Miami Fl. Being in the military can make hard times harder since we are away from our families. They were here for 3 days and it was a lot of help. I get back to work this week and I will deploying in 3 weeks for 3 months. I do not know how I will handle that. I have been deployed many times but never with a pain in my soul like this. This will be a REALLY HIGH TEMPO deployment and I hope to handle the extremely high stress of work along with my current issues. I know I am strong, but this will test my everything. Once again, I really really appreciate all of your kind words and please know that it has helped me immensely. Thank you all very much.

So glad to hear you have such strong family support!!! And no need to thank us my brother, I firmly believe you would do the same for any one of us!!!

I have to say that I worry about the deployment in 3 weeks....I do not believe it's wise. Is there no way for you to be excused? This is not the time for being away from your family and friends....no matter how important the mission. You've been through too much in the last week to be put through more stress so soon....and the same goes for your wife will be be home missing and worrying over the most important person in her life.

You said you keep things inside but maybe this is one instance you should seek the counsel of someone who may be able to keep you home with your family? Please take my heartfelt concerns into consideration....

Last edited:
So glad to hear you have such strong family support!!! And no need to thank us my brother, I firmly believe you would do the same for any one of us!!!

I have to say that I worry about the deployment in 3 weeks....I do not believe it's wise. Is there no way for you to be excused? This is not the time for being away from your family and friends....no matter how important the mission. You've been through too much in the last week to be put through more stress so soon....and the same goes for your wife will be be home missing and worrying over the most important person in her life.

You said you keep things inside but maybe this is one instance you should seek the counsel of someone who may be able to keep you home with your family? Please take my heartfelt concerns into consideration....
Thank you for your concerns as these are my concerns also. I will be bringing up all of these issues with my doctor and with whoever else they refer me to. Hopefully they will do something about it but being in the service as long as I have, I know the drill, and I know they will not give it as much importance as they should. So whatever they decide to do with me, I will have to balance as best as I can and continue to bring up the concerns until they get tired of hearing about it.

I don't have the words or the ability to express how sorry I am for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.

glad your taking steps into the right directions.. hopefully everything works out for you and your family..

I've been reading this and like many others here, have no words other than to tell you to stay strong, look to the future, and don't blame yourself for any of this, nor anyone else. I lost an infant brother, but I was only 4 years old and really do not have much memory of him. My parents don't talk much about it, but I do remember them going through a lot of counseling. They eventually got through it, but obviously if left a permanent mark on them. I do ponder what it would have been like if my littler brother was still around. Sometimes I like to think that he is my guardian angel when I come out of scary situations unscathed.

WOW. I have not been around for a while and come here to find this – this is heavy stuff man. It happens too often and people manage to continue on. As mentioned, time. Nobody is suggesting that you forget but time will eventually bring some normalcy. You seem to be acting and responding to this like a “normal” person so it follows that you guys will get your life back. The emotional storm will calm – be strong.

I want to once again thank all of your for your kind words and for genuinely caring. I have been seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist, and have been going to church to help me through this. Things have been getting better day by day. I am back at work now and will be deploying in 2 weeks. The doctors have recommended to the Coast Guard that I should not deploy but the Coast Guard feels I am too much of an asset to miss deployment. There are about 8 total people is the whole Coast Guard with my skillset and cannot fill my slot. It honestly pisses me off but I will do my best to maintain sanity with the added stressors of a high tempo operational deployment. I took the Buick out to a car show where all the proceeds went to the Children's Miracle Network. I figured it would be good to take the car out and the show was for a great cause. Suprisingly I won 1st place for my class (84-present) considering my car is not a "show car" but more of what I consider an "all around" kinda car. Street, strip, show, driver, weekend kinda car. It was fun even though I mostly never participate in car shows, I moslty go to walk around. I really feel as if I am starting to recover and that I am on a good path. Venting my feelong on this forum has helped tremendously and knowing you guys genuinely care means a lot. One again... Thank you all for the help and support.

So glad to hear you're doing better brother. And thank you for sharing your feelings with us and not keeping it all inside.

Best of luck with the mission and hurry home!!!

Update. Thanks again for all your help. This has been an emotional roller coaster year. Between finding out we were pregnant then losing him three hours after birth and furthermore getting really hurt at work. But. I got great news today. We are pregnant again. But. With twins. We are extremely excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk