HELP! Im losing lifter prime?

TA49-WE4

Ok so I was setting my harland sharps on the engine stand. Primed the engine with a drill ( oil came out of the lifters just like it should ) and I was setting away and looked over and one that I had set just dropped. Hit the drill back up it went as soon as I stoped the drill back down it went. The weight of the pushrod alone is making it bottom out!

I didn't think a lifter should ever lose its prime?

Comp roller lifters.

Guess my question is should a lifter ever lose its prime after you prime the engine on the stand with a drill? I don't see how you could ever set your rockers if they did.

Let me know because im thinking these comp roller lifters of mine are junk.

Thanks

Sounds like you may have them adjusted to tight.

I set them with the piston on top dead compression stroke back side of the lobe on the cam. Went to zero lash then half turn.

Heck they don't even need pressure from the valve spring on them to blead out.

I can pump them up and I can push the plunger inside the lifter down with my finger. :eek: Three out of the twelve of them anyways. The nine others work just fine.

lifters will lose there prime but only if its been sitting around for a long period of time. Sounds like you have got some bad ones.

I want to be cautious, and since it is Comp, you may just want to toss them but , isnt it possible that they will be somewhat conditioned by some run time and perhaps act better?

Did you clean them good with thinners first before install? No way I can push mine down with a finger.
I did have 2 that were sticky so I bottomed them out a few times in thinners & after that they set up fine & worked well. There does seem to be many complaints about Comp lifters?

have a similar issue with a comp roller (unknown rollers since i didnt do the kit and owner lost records in a fire )
after sitting hard crank for the first rev (it hits a wall at one or two cylinders) until pressure builds in the lifters , shut off it starts right up no issue , but bleeding down is happening quick you can hear it creaking back after shutdown and within a few hours the hard start is back ,

otto ..do you have any morels in stock and prods for stock rocker (should be 8.050 but wont know for sure until the lifters are in)

Did you clean them good with thinners first before install? No way I can push mine down with a finger.
I did have 2 that were sticky so I bottomed them out a few times in thinners & after that they set up fine & worked well. There does seem to be many complaints about Comp lifters?

I sent the lifters back to comp cams and they confirmed that they were indeed defective. :eek:

well i pulled the engine apart and there were indeed comp lifters in there with 8.225 push rods (iron heads with stock rockers ) , theres no receipt so no delays dealing with comp
replaced them with the morels and the required 8.050 push rods , the car no longer has the hard start after sitting, the miss it had is gone and if i didn't tell you the car had a roller you'd never know , the valvetrain is so quiet now its almost scary

I fought those pieces of JUNK comp. roller lifters off and on ( more ON then off) for 5 years. Installed Morels when they came out and problem solved. I know some guys seem to have good ones but I know ALOT more guys that have JUNK ones, throw them in the garbage and go with Morels. Period!!