Help! Hesitation & Sputtering!!!

Agent86

"Would You Believe..."
Calling All Turbo Brothers!

I have a situation. My mostly stock GN is giving me grief over the weekend. It's has a little over 90k, and I noticed that it kept sputtering, and hesitating, upon acceleration mostly!! After it got up in speed, it would stop. Sometimes the sputtering was so bad, it sounding like it would "pop" before it got a hold of itself. Then all of a sudden it would go away for a little bit, like nothing was wrong at all. Jeckll and hyde - :eek:

My car is Mostly stock. it also has a Stock MAF sensor, stock turbo, etc.

It has a new fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, new turbotweak chip, new O2 Sensor, new tps, and I haven't a clue what to start with first. If you guys can help point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it much.

Thanks guys for any help or advice. All would be appreciated, especially if you've experienced this.

Agent86 :)

Don't forget to check your ground wires! Just checked/cleaned/tightened all mine today due to similar issues I was having and feels much better!

Thanks for the helpful replies already.

1. I need to get a scan tool
2. MAF sensor (definitely need to check) What's the easiest way to check without a scan tool. And once I have the scanmaster, what would I look for?
3. I looked at the hoses already (all are good)
4. I noticed another post regarding grounds in the archives. What ground is critical regarding this and where's it located? Off the coil pack?? If someone can provide a picture, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

The main ground off the battery goes down to the bottom of the turbo bracket. This area commonly gets oily and dirty on these cars. Kind of a pain to reach, but not too bad. There are also ground kits you can get (Caspers?) and many have added grounds from the coil pack bracket to the firewall, and more engine to frame ground straps.

Make sure to check fuel pressure too. Mine started doing the exact same thing, normally after a highway run. I had broken my old gauge, so I got a new one, put it on, and it showed 28PSI! The car was starving out. I replaced the pump/filter and it runs great again. My gauge was onl $33 at Checkers, search partsamerica.com

For the MAF the only way I know is with the Scanmaster. AF is the air flow, it reads 7 at idle, 255 maxed at WOT if it is good.

Excellent info provided here. Thank you so much guys. I am learning so much in a short time here,and you guys all have experienced very much what I'm noticing....

I'm getting a scanmaster asap, and checking fuel pressure as well.

Make sure to check fuel pressure too. Mine started doing the exact same thing, normally after a highway run. I had broken my old gauge, so I got a new one, put it on, and it showed 28PSI! The car was starving out. I replaced the pump/filter and it runs great again. My gauge was onl $33 at Checkers, search partsamerica.com

For the MAF the only way I know is with the Scanmaster. AF is the air flow, it reads 7 at idle, 255 maxed at WOT if it is good.

I'll bet a free lunch in Hawaii on the fuel system. :cool: Good luck, keep us posted when you get more data.

Ed

I have a question:

If I replace my stock mass air meter, with a new translator from Fullthrottle Speed, does it just plug in and that's it? Does anything need to be set or tuned after installing it?
Thanks in advance guys

I have a question:

If I replace my stock mass air meter, with a new translator from Fullthrottle Speed, does it just plug in and that's it? Does anything need to be set or tuned after installing it?
Thanks in advance guys

You'll need the LT-1 or LS-1 MAF in addition to the translator. Actually, when my MAF went south, it did not get any better at cruising speed. Usually when the car sputters during acceleration it is the coil pack. If you do wind up needing a new coil pack, you should replace the ignition module at the same time. I didn't do that, and two weeks after replacing the coil pack, my module went bad.

I have a question:

Thanks in advance guys

Just check the dip switches in the translator make sure they're on the right settings, depending on which maf you go with , the 3" LT1 will bolt right in place, the 3.5 LS1 will require a hose adapter thats basically it.

GNRick and Turbojd - you guys are right on! Excellent advice. Regarding the Coil pack, I would definitely replace the ignition module at the same time as well. You confirmed what I thought GNRick.

I do have one more question Turbojd. My car is mostly stock, so I was thinking of getting the basic 3" LT1 Translator only. This would work, no?

That would work perfect! thats what I run on my GN, and it would be perfect for your mostly stock GN. Most of the stock rebuilt mass air flow sensors are Not calibrated properly.

I have two LT-1/translator set ups and they both work fine. You might even post in the parts wanted section that you are looking for this combo. Someone might have a used combo, as people like to upgrade to the translator pro. Good luck.

Agent86...pls provide an update once you get thru with this. I have the exact same issue as you! I did the MAF upgrade to an LS-1 and Translator last year and I still have the same issue.:( Thanks!!! By the way, I did the coilpack and ignition as well.