HELP!! Fuel tank takes 20 plus minutes to fill

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
My buds GN takes 20 plus minutes to fill up. You have to go real slow with the nozzle and to keep it from pouring out the neck.

He has had the car for 20 years and had the fuel pump replaced several years back(over 3) and it was fine after the pump replacement , just in the past year or so it has developed this.

We disconnected the vent line from the cannister completely when filling ..no help, blew compressed air through the line back to tank and it blows through. Car runs hard and has plenty of fuel to engine.

Has anyone else had this problem?? I think the baffle for the sump or something shifted and is blocking the fill tube.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Mine does that, but it doesnt take that long. i can never use the automatic filling thing, always have to do it little by little by hand. i posted on this before and otheres had the same problem, but never got a reason why....

Mine does this as well..but I find only on certain pumps. I have to do it at Mobil pumps...but not Shell pumps....its wierd.l

Tried 5 different stations, ...all the same.

anyone else...gotta be some others that have found.

Did your area recently switch to vapor recovery filler nozzles? They back up and shut off in our cars.

To fill the car with the newer vapor nozzles:

1) Don't shove the nozzle all the way in, just put the tip in, no more than an inch or two
2) Don't squeeze the handle all the way, stay under 3/4's.
3) When the autoshutoff hits, top the tank off SLOWLY. If you watch the filler hole, you see it start to squirt out a little bit right before it overflows.

Mine does that , I just flip the gun nozzle up side down. And that only works at certain stations, other stations I have the nozzle going in sideways.

Be creative the normal way doesnt work thats for sure

mine does it to and like turbo6inky said don't try to fill it to fast some pumps are faster than others. Its a pain when your filling up

same experience here. I can remember this being talked about on gnttype more than 10 years ago. I have noticed different nozzles work better than others.

You should see people looking at me when I'm cursing because the pump shut off for the 10th time and I only have 2 gallons in the car! At least these days they'll thing I'm cursing because of the price!

its these damn clean air nozzles with the rubber cover they use
we have new park avenue ultra thats the same way...you have to play with the nozzle till you get it the right way, then you can use the auto...sometimes you cant

Originally posted by kshef
its these damn clean air nozzles with the rubber cover they use
we have new park avenue ultra thats the same way...you have to play with the nozzle till you get it the right way, then you can use the auto...sometimes you cant

funny for me.... the rubber covered ones work best! I guess we each need to find the best gas station in the best state :)

Mine does it too, ever since I changed the tank a couple of years ago. I found that if I park on the left side of the pump, it's okay. On the right side I have trouble. The angle of the nozzle into the tank is what makes the difference with mine. I'm so used to parking on the right that I keep forgetting, and end up ****in' around till it's full:mad: Dave C.

Thanx for the responses...But, I can fill my 87 and have no problems. It is not the pump cut off thing that he is used to that.... it is the gas actually pouring back out the fill tube if he goes any faster than a 1/4 pull if that.

Seriously - take a piece of stiff wire and probe from the neck to the tank. When I pulled my S-10 tank to install the Walbro 340, I found a rubber ball and 2 "action figures" inside the tank, apparently already "pushed through" by the previous owner. :rolleyes: