Help!-CAT or no CAT

foregn2

I was trying to remove my CAT. While at the muffler shop one of the guys said I wouldnt gain any performance out of doing that. My car is pretty much stock with a ATR Ram Air , RA 93 Chip and adjustable wastegate.

I aslo have Super Turbo mufflers and the same guy suggested replacing those with Master FLow...... Flow Master knock off, he also recommended welding the pipes instead of clamps.

What should I do I'm looking for some cheap performacne gains out of this.
Also what mufflers do all recommend and has anyone ever heard of Master Flow.

You WILL gain performace by removing the cat. Do NOT get Flowmasters - look for a straight through type muffler. Make sure whatever system is installed on the car they retain the 4-bolt flange from the cat to the cat-back.

If you're looking for "cheap" performance gains, simply leave the stock exhaust and stock cat on, and just weld in a cutout before the cat... I noticed a gain on my car after removing the cat.

XLR8 said:
You WILL gain performace by removing the cat. Do NOT get Flowmasters - look for a straight through type muffler. Make sure whatever system is installed on the car they retain the 4-bolt flange from the cat to the cat-back.

What kind of gains will i see and is ir real noticable

remove the cat. Stay away from baffled type mufflers such as flow master.

The cat removal will decrease back pressure. This will decrease spool up time of the turbo and allow increased boost. This will give you more low end torque and increased horse power. I was able to drop almost 5 tenths off my quarter by this simple mod.

baffled type mufflers produce some very strange resonance that causes extra back pressure in a turbo environment. This reduces power and increases spool up. Stay away from baffled mufflers.

If you are in need of an exhaust system, check out the hooker system with the aero chamber mufflers. Easy to install,straight through design and excellent sound. Best of all it is cheap.

My stock car with only a good chip some race fuel a set of drag radials and these mods went 12.95 at 105.

Welding or clamps is your choice. I use clamps and never had an issue.

machinegun said:
remove the cat. Stay away from baffled type mufflers such as flow master.

The cat removal will decrease back pressure. This will decrease spool up time of the turbo and allow increased boost. This will give you more low end torque and increased horse power. I was able to drop almost 5 tenths off my quarter by this simple mod.

baffled type mufflers produce some very strange resonance that causes extra back pressure in a turbo environment. This reduces power and increases spool up. Stay away from baffled mufflers.

If you are in need of an exhaust system, check out the hooker system with the aero chamber mufflers. Easy to install,straight through design and excellent sound. Best of all it is cheap.

My stock car with only a good chip some race fuel a set of drag radials and these mods went 12.95 at 105.

Welding or clamps is your choice. I use clamps and never had an issue.

Thanks for the response. Guess I will be removing the CAT. My car aslo is pretty much stock with. Your time is pretty much what i'm looking for.

Next is there any GN memebers in the Columbus area that can help with the removal.

Have you thought about a 3" down pipe, high flow cat, and good dual 2.5" cat-back? I would be tempted to eliminate the mufflers if you are running the high flow cat. Has anyone done this? If your car is a daily driver, you will get nailed at emissions inspection w/o a cat!
Conrad

foregn2 said:
I was trying to remove my CAT. While at the muffler shop one of the guys said I wouldnt gain any performance out of doing that. My car is pretty much stock with a ATR Ram Air , RA 93 Chip and adjustable wastegate.

I aslo have Super Turbo mufflers and the same guy suggested replacing those with Master FLow...... Flow Master knock off, he also recommended welding the pipes instead of clamps.

What should I do I'm looking for some cheap performacne gains out of this.
Also what mufflers do all recommend and has anyone ever heard of Master Flow.

That muffler shop was wrong on every score. RUN from them!!!

strike

High flow mufflers and no cat will gain you more performance than a 3" downpipe like a THDP.

I went 11.80's with the stock elbow and a 2.5" DP and picked up less than .1 in back to back testing vs. a THDP.

Losing the cat is worth .3-.4, high flow mufflers another .3-.4.

There is a LOT of performance lost in the stock exhaust.

alphaenvirmgt said:
Have you thought about a 3" down pipe, high flow cat, and good dual 2.5" cat-back? I would be tempted to eliminate the mufflers if you are running the high flow cat. Has anyone done this? If your car is a daily driver, you will get nailed at emissions inspection w/o a cat!
Conrad

No havent thought about that. No emmissions inspection here. Since my car is pretty stock dont think downpipe will help me much

strikeeagle said:
That muffler shop was wrong on every score. RUN from them!!!

strike

They remind me of the muffler shop in South Carolina that ran duals on a club member's GN.

He kept the original pipe, then cut the crossover and ran it to a second pipe back.

Needless to say, the turbo wouldn't spool on 3 cylinders.

UNGN said:
High flow mufflers and no cat will gain you more performance than a 3" downpipe like a THDP.

I went 11.80's with the stock elbow and a 2.5" DP and picked up less than .1 in back to back testing vs. a THDP.

Losing the cat is worth .3-.4, high flow mufflers another .3-.4.

There is a LOT of performance lost in the stock exhaust.

Thought i had to get some gain. I dont have the stock exhaust, its a ATR stainless steel exhaust with super turbo mufflers. Seems like i need to gut cat and get those hooker mufflers

foregn2 said:
Thought i had to get some gain. I dont have the stock exhaust, its a ATR stainless steel exhaust with super turbo mufflers. Seems like i need to gut cat and get those hooker mufflers

The best mufflers are Ultraflows. With a gutted cat you'll need mufflers that will minimize drone.

The CAT is there for a very good environmental reason. I plan on 9's this time around and will still be installing a CAT as I will drive it often. Buy a cutout for 200$ and help save the planet along with the hybrids when you're driving normally. For such a little performance loss on the !STREET!, it is not worth removing.

If being responsible about the earth isn't your forte, then look at what a cop will fine you on a bad day if he decides you DO need one and pops out the mirror.

When my car was stock I first added injectors, FP reg, CAI, and a chip = 13.7 in the 1/4 mile.

I then removed the stock DP and original cat and installed a 3" SS THDP with a dump. I ran 13.1 with no other changes. You mileage may vary. I have a 3 inch hi flow cat the bolts in to replace the test pipe/dump.

PhilM said:
The CAT is there for a very good environmental reason. I plan on 9's this time around and will still be installing a CAT as I will drive it often. Buy a cutout for 200$ and help save the planet along with the hybrids when you're driving normally. For such a little performance loss on the !STREET!, it is not worth removing.

If being responsible about the earth isn't your forte, then look at what a cop will fine you on a bad day if he decides you DO need one and pops out the mirror.

If you want to save the planet, demand all 60's big blocks be crushed.

One of those pollutes 20X a 3.8L turbo V6 without a cat.

Ignorance is not realizing a single inividual can uphold some form of utilitarianism.

5 HP for the 1% of time you drive is not worth the cost.

MEH

PhilM said:
Ignorance is not realizing a single inividual can uphold some form of utilitarianism.

5 HP for the 1% of time you drive is not worth the cost.

MEH

You have proof it is only 5 hp?

FWIW .... no cat doesn't mean you are a neglecting the environment....I have seen some people who have passed the sniffer w/o even having a cat......