Header wastegate fabrication

TurboDetroit

Hey guys just trying to see those of you who have had wastegates welded on your headers...around How much does it cost to have a wastegate fabricated to the header? Have a 45mm turbosmart looking to exhaust to the atmosphere off of a TA replacement header...

If you do the mockup and mark off the parts less than $100. If you pay a shop to do it all and they have to remove the header and do all the cutting, grinding. It could be 5-10x that amount depending on how hard the header is to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do the mockup and mark off the parts less than $100. If you pay a shop to do it all and they have to remove the header and do all the cutting, grinding. It could be 5-10x that amount depending on how hard the header is to remove.

Damn... Guess I'll be doing the mockup and cutting myself. Hell I mines well tac it in place too. It's always more than you expect

Damn... Guess I'll be doing the mockup and cutting myself. Hell I mines well tac it in place too. It's always more than you expect

A good fab shop will be at least $100/hr. Keep track of the time involved and you will see why it is what it is. It's a lot of playing around. You want to clear the lower radiator hose and have room and accessibility to weld the v band clamps and attach the band. It will need a piece of pipe on the outlet side to go under the car. It needs to clear whatever is in the way also. Lot of work.

Then to properly install a smart boost controller properly it's a bunch more work. Could take a good tech 2 days to do everything involved with the fab work and install.

Well we're going to install the controller here at my shop, I think I can manage the mockup with the help of my co-workers lol but I lay some booger welds and I want it to look nice...

Then to properly install a smart boost controller properly it's a bunch more work. Could take a good tech 2 days to do everything involved with the fab work and install.

were

I agree with Bison on pricing. I took my buddies header to be repaired by my machinist. Charged dude $60 to weld back on his broken wastegate piping to header. He also put in a reenforcement bar so it wouldn't happen again. If he had to weld flanges and make a dump pipe too, Cut a hole in the header etc, I would imagine a few hours labor. Easy $250-300 bucks. Fabrication work adds up real quick!

I agree with Bison on pricing. I took my buddies header to be repaired by my machinist. Charged dude $60 to weld back on his broken wastegate piping to header. He also put in a reenforcement bar so it wouldn't happen again. If he had to weld flanges and make a dump pipe too, Cut a hole in the header etc, I would imagine a few hours labor. Easy $250-300 bucks. Fabrication work adds up real quick!
Imagine binging them the car and they can't get the dp off and headers are tight, turbo bolts seized, etc. adds up real quick. A lot of work. Good fabricators know what their worth and they will charge for it.