Header Panel

87GNSteve

Just another pretty face....
I installed my header panel yeaterday. The car has had a complete paint and resto the origibal header panel was junk so this header panel is off a different car.
I have the hood adjusted all the way back int eh slots on both the fenders and the hood and it still is too far forward and the hood hits the header panel if you try to close the hood.
Does the core support have to come forward?

Actually the header panel is attached directly to the fenders, and you would need to move them forward to move the header panel forward. The core support is bolted to the frame and has very little adjustment, but if you look, the fenders, and thus, header panel can slide fore and aft, left/right etc.

But wouldnt the hood move with the fenders also, since the hood is bolted to them?

Your correct , moving fenders moves hood also. Is the gap even all across hood/ header?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You have used up all the adjustment where the hood attaches to the hinge? Have you also used up the adjustment where the hinge attaches to the inner fender?

You have used up all the adjustment where the hood attaches to the hinge? Have you also used up the adjustment where the hinge attaches to the inner fender?
Yes that's why I'm completely flabbergasted. ...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Your correct , moving fenders moves hood also. Is the gap even all across hood/ header?

There is no gap it is right on top of the header panel

Sorry for asking a dumb question . Have to adjusted the hood w/out shocks attached?

I installed my header panel yeaterday. The car has had a complete paint and resto the origibal header panel was junk so this header panel is off a different car.
I have the hood adjusted all the way back int eh slots on both the fenders and the hood and it still is too far forward and the hood hits the header panel if you try to close the hood.
Does the core support have to come forward?
FACTORY HEADER? OR AFTERMARKET?

Sorry for asking a dumb question . Have to adjusted the hood w/out shocks attached?

The hood is fully adjusted back I didn't atempt to try anymore because it wasn't physically possible.

I'm trying to visualize this - but what you are implying by referring to the core support - is that you want to move the header forward.
This is counter intuitive - as it clearly must bolt flush to the front of the fenders.
The only logical answer is that the hood MUST move rearward.
That said - and it is not a lot of adjustment - the hood does not technically bolt to the FENDERS, as it bolts to the INNER FENDERS.
Not a big difference I realize.
But those have plenty of adjustment - more or less
And from reading your post, no mention was made of anything being replaced BUT the header panel.
But you mentioned paint and resto.
So - let's see if I have this straight - the fenders were or were not removed during the resto?

The entire car was disassembled and sand blasted.

The entire car was disassembled and sand blasted.

Hmmm....
The infamous alignment of the fenders to doors; hood to fenders; hood to header panel panel trick.

It sounds nice though - all blasted and repainted.

I'd have to think this through a bit more - but hearing you have the hood hinges adjusted full rearward - I lean toward inner fender locations.
If I had my portable drive - I'd post my pics of the inner fender adjustment locations.
But they are fairly forgiving.

Now I'm assuming your fender to door gap is right on.

You didn't say by how much you are lacking, but all it takes is a 1/16th here, and a 1/16th there, and before you know it - you're at a 1/4 of an inch and no clearance.

TurboClam is having the same issue right now - although his is a little different.
I will too this winter when I reassemble my front clip.
I keep wanting to meet someone who worked final assembly at PON or Flint who could sit down and tell me how they did the magic.

interestingly enough i hadan aftermarket header panel that I removed the grill and Brussels fit for shit. But it got fine and the hood closed no problem. I had it almost completely assembled and didn't like the way some screw holes were off. I figured the GM on would be easy swap. To make matters worse the GM panel I had to have poInted separately doesn't match.

Not Brussels! bezels damn auto complete. ..

I just looked at mine, and the fenders are a good 1/4" out from the front of the hood. Header rests against them and it all fits.

Are the front of your fenders out farther than your hood now?

This is a top view of the hood over yhe header panel.

Attachments

• 1383018002689.jpg
    1383018002689.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 175
Side view

Attachments

• 1383018090856.jpg
    1383018090856.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 183
interestingly enough i hadan aftermarket header panel that I removed the grill and Brussels fit for shit. But it got fine and the hood closed no problem. I had it almost completely assembled and didn't like the way some screw holes were off. I figured the GM on would be easy swap. To make matters worse the GM panel I had to have poInted separately doesn't match.

Yeah - lemme guess.
It came from South Florida?
I heard those wiggle and flap at 55 mph! :D