Head Unit and Crossovers????

87gnblackdemon

Don't Be Redikulas!!
When my headunit and second amp get here this is what my system will consist of. Pioneer DEH-P77DH H/U, factory 3.5 front speakers, Cerwin Vega 6x9's and 5 1/4's in kickpanels. 2 12" Vegas, 800w Autotek Mean Machine and 400w Autotek Super sport for the 6x9's and 5 1/4's. My question is, my head unit will be pushing only the 3.5's, so could I or should I get some little tweaters like magnet tweeters and hook them to the rear channels of the H/U, they would be on the dash somewheres.

I've done a lot when it comes to car audio, mainly neighborhood buddies cars, but I am not in competitions or probably will never be, I know my stuff but not all of it. My second question, what does a crossover do? I've never messed with one. Should I use one? I bought the second amp for the rear/front speakers because I wanted more power to them so I could hear them. The H/U won't do it. Will the amp be enough? Or is this a job for a crossover?

A crossover basically filters out any unwanted sound frequencies so that any given speaker isn't trying to reproduce a signal it wasn't designed for. In other words, the tweeter only see the treble, the mids only see the mid range & the subs only see the bass.

One suggestion, I would strongly consider running the dash & door speakers on amp power, then using just deck power for the 6x9"s. The interior layout of the TR simply begs that you concentrate on building a good front stage. Throwing a lot of wattage at the rear deck speakers (which should be used for a bit of rear fill IMHO, NOT as a focal point in the system) will just muddy up the sound in the cabin & overpower that all important front stage!

Guess I lied, here's one more suggestion / something to consider: ;)

If you haven't already gotten the 6x9"s I would suggest that you install another set of 5 1/4"s back there. This way you don't eliminate the rear fill and you'll end up with more clean bass in the cabin. Giving the bass an unrestricted "path" into the cabin (through the open area around those 5.25's instead of just through the back of the seat) can really help wake a system up.

Doug C.

This is only my opinion............:) I personally dont like using deck power for driving mids and highs (unless that is the only option). You will have much cleaner, better sound using an amplifier with either a built in or external cross-over to manage your drivers output frequencies.

Another good advantage with using a cross-over specially if it is a variable (adjustable), is you can adjust the lower subwoofer frequencies to match your cabinets resonant frequencies to get the most sound out of your subwoofers. It is also benificial for your high end drivers to match the output frequencies that the factory designed them to play at.

Well with each 5 1/4 and each 6x9 getting 100w from the second amp, The headunit will give full power to the crappy computer 3.5 which shouldn't need to many watts and maybe some tiny magnet tweeters. Wouldn't 45w by 4 to these little speakers be enough. The second amp I think would be to overpowering. I would get highs from the 5 1/4, 3.5 and tweeters, and highs and mids from 6x9's and bass from the 12's.

This is also another personal opinion......:) You really dont need the 3.5s in the dash since you are running the kick panel pods. If you ever get to demo a car with kick panel pods and another with just dash speakers or both, you will hear the difference that I am talking about. I personally dont like the way highs sound bouncing of windshield :eek: .