Head swap question

fl89tta

Are there any other heads that will fit the TTA? Ive heard there are if so anyone casting number? Any info really appreciated.

Well you can use any GN heads if you take out your AC or just get some 3.1 FWD Buick heads and have them ported and I believe those will fit the same as stock.

fl89tta said:
Are there any other heads that will fit the TTA? Ive heard there are if so anyone casting number? Any info really appreciated.

Yup the 3.0 heads off the Delta 88, Lesabre's, etc on mid 80's FWD Buicks/Olds cars. The valve covers will look like the TTA's.

Look for casting numbers ending with 7515. You can open the oil fill cap and look inside the head and see the numbers.

There was another I had seen used.. casting 2428.

HTH

Thanks for info

I ordered a motor thru local parts store for my TTA. The heads are different. They have a casting number 255 06 293. Anyone know if these are GN heads or what?

Aren't the GN valve covers perimiter bolt? If so there's your answer. As far as looking at them the GN heads are wider than the TTA heads...

thes heads are perimeter bolts, and have the rockers on a crossbar, instead of single studs like my TTA heads. I'll get Pics tommorow.

fl89tta said:
I ordered a motor thru local parts store for my TTA. The heads are different. They have a casting number 255 06 293. Anyone know if these are GN heads or what?

Guess they ordered the wrong motor :eek:

No it wont work in a TTA... and looks like you'll need more than a set of heads to get that working.. like block, heads, crank, TTA pistons, etc..

More Questions.

I'll still be able to use the block, even if its a GN block? Im panning on just getting my original heads redone, and put em on new motor. To use the GN heads in my TTA does just the A/C compressor need to go? Or what else would need to be removed?

Hi,
Get the right part! Take the motor back and tell them it isn't correct. Why should you have to swap heads and everything else? Unless they gave it to you, why mess around?

Another Question

Well, They are payin to get my heads redone, no one has the right part, guess there arent to many xtra TTA heads laying around.
The mid 80's front whell drive heads that were said to fit the TTA, will those allow for the A/C?

fl89tta said:
Well, They are payin to get my heads redone, no one has the right part, guess there arent to many xtra TTA heads laying around.
The mid 80's front whell drive heads that were said to fit the TTA, will those allow for the A/C?
Yes the FWD heads will work with the AC and everything else. They are nearly identicle with no noticable differences other than casting numbers.

Now the downfall is that you will end up raising your compression to 9.27:1 with GN pistons and TTA heads. Assuming the engine you are buying has turbo pistons and crank, it shouldn't be too much of a problem and you will just have to run a little less timing or boost but get better response out of boost.

Anything I can do?

The Heads are getting sent out tomorrow, is there anything I can have the shop thats doin em to do to accomodate the difference between the GN block and TTA heads?

The 6293 heads are the older 3.8 heads. Pre GN. The water ports are a little different than a GNs, but otherwise, they are the same. If you take a motor that was built for those heads, and put on the TTA heads, you are going to have too high a of a compression ratio.

What will Happen?

Will I keep blowing head gaskets? I guess I'm really screwed. My TTA heads were sent out today to get redone, they are going on the other motor. How do I know if the motor's a pre GN motor? If it's not will I still have the same problem(too much compression)? I grew up around big blocks and natural aspirated motors, Isnt higher compression good?
I really really appreciate the feedback from all yous. :)
Thank You.

This thread is far out on left field.

First it sounds to me like its the wrong motor. May even be the wrong block, wrong crank, wrong pistons, wrong cam, etc.

Your gonna blow head gaskets if you detonate the motor. Having higher compression makes this easier to do.

You better research the block casting numbers, crank casting and assure its a rolled filet crank, and then go and see what pistons are installed into this mystery motor. Rods will have two dimples on them IF they are turbo rods. If you fail to heed these warnings.. eminent problems are guaranteed to happen.

TTA pistons are available from Johns performance. Not to say what was wrong with the original motor that you need to replace the entire motor?

Quit making decisions without having proper facts and documentation. So far the wrong motor was ordered, and the fix is to RIG the heads onto it.

The terms "rolled filet, turbo crank, turbo rods, 109, 229, 877, etc" are searchable on this board to educate. Hope you start digging now befire its too late.

FWIW, nobody sells a rebuilt TTA motor. The fix is rebuild your own. If you want things correct.

Lastly that motor they sold ya, does it even have a hole for the turbo drain on it :eek:

Razor said:
This thread is far out on left field.

Lastly that motor they sold ya, does it even have a hole for the turbo drain on it :eek:

Not to mention the taped hole for the knock sensor! :cool:

My motor...

The original motor spun the timing chain, bent a few pushrods, nicked a few pistons, and needs plenty of work, The water passages are all clogged. I'm going to completely go thru original motor, but its gonna take me some time, I need the car mobile, cuz right now its sitting outside(yuk). And I want to get it running so i can garage it. I'd like to rebuild the original motor. I got the new motor cuz its the only thing I could find anywhere. It is a turbo block(has the oil drain hole). Where would the engine casting numbers be found? I want to have a spare motor to play with. Rebuild the original motor, and use the other for racing, I've been reading this board awhile, I'm trying to learn all I can about the TTA. I really do appreciate all the help everyone here has given me. So, my problem now is What do I do now? Thank you.

Just put in GN Motor??

If I put the GN motor in my TTA does just the compressor have to go? or what else would have to be done? I'm thinking put the GN motor in TTA deal with loss of A/C. Rebuild original motor then reswap. Just need to know what needs to go to accomadate the GN Motor? Thanks.