Head Gaskets - What tools needed?

Spooln1

Noobie question.

I've fixed/replaced a lot on this Buick since I bought it in February. New water pump, plenum spacer, heater core and a handful of misc stuff. Now I get to tackle taking off the heads and replacing the gaskets all while the motor is in the car. I'm going to read more up on the procedure, but I think I can figure it out. GN1 aluminum heads and the rest of the mods in my sig. Please don't flame. I'm learning as I go. I'm not going to pay to have it done unless I'm way over my head.

Question: What tools will I need to do this job? Any specialty tools? I've got a jack and stands. A basic socket set and a fridge ful o beer.

Thanks In Advance,

Neil

Take the heads to get them checked for flatness and cut flat if needed before putting them back on

Permatex#2 for the threads on the bolts/studs, its very resiliant and stays pliable.

Be careful if scraping/sanding/etc the deck surface.

Use denatured alcohol and lots of clean lint free rags dont use brake cleaner on the HG mating surfaces (deck and heads) to clean as all brake cleaners dont dry completely clean as advertised. I prefer light colored rags to see whats getting dirty.

Use shop vac to suck the crud outta the cylinders and valley.

If using felpro 9441pt dont handle or wipe down the gaskets.....they are sticky outta the package for a reason.

Heater box is a PITA no if and or maybes so get ready.

Lock up the fridge until the you quit for the day!:) Been there and done that! I also started (WOW! I have done this a LOT on mine!) draining the coolant from the block through the small plugs down my the oilpan, near the motor mounts. It keeps from dumping so much into the cylinders when the head is lifted. Other wise just take your time and like stated above clean, clean, clean and have the heads checked while off the car. Good luck, Jon Hanson