Head gaskets for GN1's

Not Avg 6

I'm looking for the best head gasket to use with the aluminum GN1's. I read everything from the stock gasket, Felpro 1026, Felpro 1400 and a new one called Kometics. Can I get opinions again.
Thanks

I have been using Felpro 1026 (this is what Champion recomends) with ARP bolts on my 14 bolt GN 1 heads. Have not had a problem but in the future I will try Cometic gaskets because I can get the thickness I want to make up for a shorter deck on a stage 2 block (this will get the intake to line up better). Might call Jack Cotton and get his advice.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Not much luck here. :( Stock gaskets and Fel Pro 1000s both leak a little (soot, middle of #4) I'm gonna try more torque than what is recommended (75 top, and 65 on bottom to 85#all the way around) After that, either o-ring and wire-loc or piano wire trick. If that don't work, gonna go back to Iron heads, LIFE IS GOOD!:cool:

Russ, I am really pissed to hear that you have had problems. I am running stock head gaskets with ARP bolts and so far so good but I have not pushed the car at all. Max boost so far has been around 15 psi. I am nervous to push the car. Nothing like spending $1500 to go fast and then be too much a wus to actually push the car. Hoping my headgaskets hold!!!

I like running bout 18# on the street, no knock. I'll fix it one way or another. Motor came out today, take it apart tomorrow and see what's up. I love this $hit!:D

Anyone think about using a super light coat of GE-1200 on the gasket surfaces? I think when I put the heads on my 4.1 with the 1000's I am going to give it a whirl. May help also if the head lifts:D

one of my heads is also leaking. 8 bolt gn1s and felpro 1000s. only one season but i do run high boost 25 psi or more. my champion ported iron car has never weeped or blown in three years. dam aluminum heads.

The fel pro 1000's were designed to be used with 14 bolt heads. The fire ring is different and needs more clamping force. Felpro 1026's were designed for aluminum heads. I believe the fire ring core is softer to compress better with the aluminum head.

Originally posted by Intercooler
Anyone think about using a super light coat of GE-1200 on the gasket surfaces? I think when I put the heads on my 4.1 with the 1000's I am going to give it a whirl. May help also if the head lifts:D
So you are selling the stuff and havent even tried it out yet---shame on you :eek:

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
So you are selling the stuff and havent even tried it out yet---shame on you :eek:
Got it in the 3.8 sitting in my car with steel shims but haven't got the 4.1 heads done yet to give it a whirl in that motor. I have been using 1200 on everything lately:D Found out it works real well on the IC pipes to seal my SMC alcohol nozzles and clear to boot;)

a firend tried the cometics on his 540 chevy last season, he sprays it with a 300 shot and kept blowing out the felpros.....after a full season with cometics 300-350 shot running low 8's he had no failures,,when we took it apart this winter they still looked new.....imo they are well worth the money and proved themselves to be better then the felpros....i would expect the same results on big boost 3.8's:cool:

gaskets

not average 6, few years ago i bought a indy 500 stage motor, when i took it apart it had fel pro 1000 head gaskets, it was a o ring block, 9.00 bore, i bored it to 9.40 with a 3.625 crank, i have had m@a heads, old champion heads now i have new champion R heads, i have never blowed a head gasket, 25 lbs normal, but i have run it up to 30 lbsboost, on my other stage motor[ i have 3] bore is 4.30 bore i use fel pro 1026 it or the others dont have o-rings in the block , when i cracked the old champions had them welded twice i never blew a gasket, i torque the short studs to 65 lbs 75 on the long ones, i have burnt pistons, broke a rod, bent a few valves, so im lucky on the head gaskets, we are going to try to run 35 to 38 lbs boost, cal hartline is programing the old fel-pro, ill probly blow the whole motor apart, good luck.:cool:

hey intercooler how you like the steel shim gaskets
run any high boost , with it still holding

Originally posted by JOHNZAZA
hey intercooler how you like the steel shim gaskets
run any high boost , with it still holding
Still chasing down issues with parts fitments. I haven't fired it yet. Getting closer but still not there yet!

It should be just fine! Some of the fastest stock blocks in the Country are using them so I feel good about them!

ever notice how unported stock heads were alot more head gasket friendly? that is because they are so restrictive you can't really make enough cylinder pressure to hurt the gasket unless you severly detonate it.

I think all of the gaskets will work with good results as long as you are not making enough cylinder pressure to lift the heads. Most guys aren't. If you are severly detonating you can blow any of them...or worse. Of course I think that the best combination is the stacked steels i sell. that is why i sell them. The ge1200 silicone helps the head adhear to the gasket, head and block. The steel shim is the strongest gasket materail available.

the thing i like the most about the steels shim setup is if you do happen to be making enough cylinder pressure to lift the heads, your race day is not over. they might lift but they don't blow. I am still running the same set of head gaskets that were on my car when i ran 9.96 at the 02 gsnats with my stock block. the trouble with the other gaskets is as soon as you lift them all of that non steel gasket material (basicaly everything but the fire ring) gets blown into the lifter valley and then to the pan where it can cause problems. the escaping gases also "widdle" away the fiber until there is no support for the fire ring and then the fire ring simply slips out.

I did not state my theory or opinion. This is my experience with 1007s, 1000s, stock steels and stock 87 graphites.

hope this helps.

quick question. car had the GM composite head gaskets on it.. noting wrong but with them no blow outs etc. heads and intake are milled flat now and i know you said that you would run victor reinz. getting new arp bolts as ti don't want to deal with the studs.. block is 109 bored .030 over. would the victor reinz work with cast iron block/aluminum heads and seal better than the cometic ones? trying to see what thickness needed. do i need to check the thickness of the existing gasket to determine.. i think the engine builder said that it was .055 compressed thickness when he measured.. trying to see which ones to go back with..