head gasket

Dave

I had to pull a head after I torqued them because a bolt broke during the process. The gasket came off clean......no material on the head or block and the gasket looks good. Do you think I can use the same head gasket?

If it was compressed its a 50/50 shot. If its just a driver with low boost & not racing then you could be fine. BUT At this point do you want to take a chance? Is it worth it to save the $$ from another Head Gasket?
Do you want to do it again in a few months if your wrong & it lets go?
Most wouldnt but I know someone who did & car is still fine after 2 seasons, but he doesnt beat on it alot.

I had to pull a head after I torqued them because a bolt broke during the process. The gasket came off clean......no material on the head or block and the gasket looks good. Do you think I can use the same head gasket?
Sounds like a built car to run fast. A broken head bolt? Never heard of this before in all my years around TRs. I hope you use new factory type bolts each time changing a HG? ARP bolts would be great too. Don't re-use the HG in MHO. Good Luck. Gene

I had it happen. I had a bolt that felt spongy or springy. I was applying torque very slowly and it just didn't feel right. At the 60lb setting it snapped. I guess we do get bad bolts once in a while. I wouldn't risk it, buy new headgaskets.

Sounds like a built car to run fast. A broken head bolt? Never heard of this before in all my years around TRs. I hope you use new factory type bolts each time changing a HG? ARP bolts would be great too. Don't re-use the HG in MHO. Good Luck. Gene

I never had a head bolt snap either, Holes were cleaned with a bottom tap, washers were oiled on both sides, sealant on threads.........torque wrench never clicked .......but the bolt did........not only one but two. Arp thinks that they have been cycled to many times. Bolts were on the heads when I purchased the engine two years ago.

Hg Bolt

I had it happen. I had a bolt that felt spongy or springy. I was applying torque very slowly and it just didn't feel right. At the 60lb setting it snapped. I guess we do get bad bolts once in a while. I wouldn't risk it, buy new headgaskets.

I TORQUE MY ARP STUDS WITH RJC HG AT 90LB NO PROBLEMS IF IT SNAPPING

If the engine was run with the head gaskets i wouldnt reuse them,But if they were new and this happened i dont see any problems with reuseing them.I have done it a few times with no problems.

you didnt specify what kind of gasket you used, if its the RJC gasket or cometics they are reusable up to 3 to 5 times, if its the regular composite gasket like the felpro 1026 or stock style gasket i say put a new one on. :)